Texas Hunting Forum

Westwind GSP

Posted By: DJBB

Westwind GSP - 01/22/16 05:42 AM

Anybody own and hunting a Westwind GSP? I'm considering a litter from that Kennel in Kansas but was interested in chatting with anybody who might have one to see how they handle the differing harsh environments we have here in Texas as opposed to 500 acre planted fields of the midwest with consistent 30 degree weather. I like the traits this kennel describes they are breeding but hunting the Rolling Plains of Stonewall County where I hunt, canyons/ridges/mesquite brush, is not like hunting the open prairies of the Midwest where this bloodline has been established. I hunted my previous DK German bred dog in the harsh Rolling Plains for years so I know what it takes. If anybody is running a Westwind GSP, would like here from you.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Westwind GSP - 01/22/16 02:17 PM

I don't think the location of the breeder matters as much as the breed. My current pointer came from Detroit, and the one before her came from Kansas. Both did or do well in Texas.
Posted By: DJBB

Re: Westwind GSP - 01/22/16 04:13 PM

Thanks Bill, my previous dog was from New Jersey so I'm not wrapped up with location of Kennel but only the traits the Kennel is breeding towards. My previous dog was being bred close to the motherline and they were repeating known traits for physical toughness yet very cooperative with great noses even in dry/warm conditions. I was not disappointed and his traits suited our weather and habitat perfectly. My buddy was not so lucky. His dog was an awesome dog as long as he wasn't working in and around briars, goat head stickers, yucca and cactus and the temps were below 50, but he didnt do his research on traits within the bloodlines. His breeder was breeding traits that was proven successful while working in the Northern border states since that was the majority of his clients resided. When hunting the Dakotas with his dog, he was a super hunter and near flawless but the conditions down here obviously inhibited him. Thus, I'm just reaching out to see what other Owners have to say if there are any on this forum. Thanks for your response though and hope your reaping from this awesome bird season!
Posted By: WEEKday warrior

Re: Westwind GSP - 01/24/16 12:40 AM

I agree with the breeding traits for sure. Does anyone give any credence to when they were born? Grandfather always leaned on a summer pup having a higher heat tolerance and winter pups working better cold.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum