Texas Hunting Forum

Young hunter needing a dog?

Posted By: Somebeach

Young hunter needing a dog? - 01/09/16 12:48 AM

I have a young 2 year old male setter that I just could not find the time in the last year to work as much as I would have liked. He is a very sweet, loving dog. I have shot scaled quail over him in New Mexico last year. He has not had any real formal training, I have basically turned him loose on wild birds and let them be the teacher. I am willing to give him to a young hunter that will take very good care of him and hunt the hair off of him. He is great with my three boys age 12,4 &5. No aggression, gets along with other dogs, etc. He has all the right makings and I kept him from a litter I bred. I still own the mother who is a NFC/FC and good friend owns the father who is FC/NFC. I have just lost the fire after moving to texas and the whole lease hunting thing and this dog needs somebody to take him out and do what he is bred to do. I am not interested in selling him or trading him off, I just thought this may be an opportunity for a young man or young women to get into the sport that has given me so much joy over my life that otherwise may not be able to have a hunting dog. I put this in this section as I thought it may get seen more by upland hunters and I am not selling him, hopefully it doesn't need to get moved into another section. I will be selective on where he goes to make sure he is going into a good situation. I am located in north texas. His name is Bill. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Posted By: blanked

Re: Young hunter needing a dog? - 01/09/16 01:19 AM

I am with you on the lease thing. Why not concentrate on kansas
Posted By: epp838

Re: Young hunter needing a dog? - 01/09/16 01:51 AM

How is he on points, retrieving etc, house broke? or strictly outside dog?

Re: Young hunter needing a dog? - 01/09/16 01:56 AM

I'm just passing through really. I was transferred here for a two year project last year and will be headed back west in about a year. I have plenty of older dogs to keep me occupied on a few trips I take annually no matter where I am working Arizona, Colorado and South Dakota are the three main trips I take each year. Wasn't meaning to belittle the lease thing as I realize this is the standard practice here and I am really just a guest for a couple years. If I end Up keeping him that is fine also, just looking to give back to the sport and keep a youngster involved instead of sitting in front of a video game or out raising hell on the streets.

Re: Young hunter needing a dog? - 01/09/16 02:09 AM

Top picture is him on a planted bird on a training session. Covey's gave him fits, just couldn't handle all the excitement as any young dog. He didn't have any problems on the singles. I have no doubt he will need a little tune up. He retrieved ok but my plan was to force fetch him as I do all of my dogs anyway but that did not happen. I also hunted him alone so there was no pressure from other dogs on the retrieve where any issues could show up. He is not 100% housebroke. He comes into the house a couple times a week and hangs out.
Posted By: epp838

Re: Young hunter needing a dog? - 01/09/16 02:11 AM

I have a buddy near Rockwall who needs this dog, I'll pass on the info
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Young hunter needing a dog? - 01/09/16 02:05 PM

Great gesture. Good on you.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Young hunter needing a dog? - 01/09/16 02:15 PM

That is such a wonderful offer. I hope some young person takes you up on it.
My grandpa got me hooked on bird dogs at a very young age.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Young hunter needing a dog? - 01/11/16 04:40 PM

Hello and I am not young and I can offer your dog a very good home where he will be on birds often. I would also take you and your children out if you wanted to shoot some birds.

Re: Young hunter needing a dog? - 01/12/16 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: shooterwalter
Hello and I am not young and I can offer your dog a very good home where he will be on birds often. I would also take you and your children out if you wanted to shoot some birds.

Check your pm

Re: Young hunter needing a dog? - 01/12/16 09:57 PM

I have not had any takers on any young folks. I'm open to anybody interested if the situation is right.
Posted By: mbole

Re: Young hunter needing a dog? - 01/13/16 04:27 PM

I'm young (26) and have a young dog I hunt the crap out of already, and would love another. Unfortunately, I don't have a house and yard big enough for 2 dogs!

This would be a great deal for someone though.
Posted By: crash519

Re: Young hunter needing a dog? - 01/13/16 08:40 PM

PM sent
Posted By: THETEXAN

Re: Young hunter needing a dog? - 01/13/16 11:51 PM

That's Awesome. What a great gift this will be.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Young hunter needing a dog? - 01/14/16 12:21 AM

I'm happy for the pup.
Posted By: webb1974

Re: Young hunter needing a dog? - 01/19/16 04:33 AM

Not sure if the dog is still available but I'm in the market for a dog for my son. He is 12. He is very patient with animals and his Christmas / birthday present is a flight pen. We are in mineral wells and the quail on my place are gone so we will grow our own. Would love to talk to you if you still have him. Thanks shane

Re: Young hunter needing a dog? - 01/21/16 09:03 PM

Bill has found his new home and hopefully we can get him to his new family this weekend. I am sure this is going to be a good fit and he will get on plenty of birds. Thanks for all the interest and offers to give him a home.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum