Texas Hunting Forum

Quail hunting in snow covered ground

Posted By: stinkbelly

Quail hunting in snow covered ground - 12/30/15 12:35 PM

Is it worth quail hunting in snow covered ground? I have hunted peasant in snow, but never quail.
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: Quail hunting in snow covered ground - 12/30/15 12:45 PM

I will be hunting up in the panhandle this weekend for both pheasant and quail. Hopefully it's not to hard on the birds. We will only take bird each out of a covey and move on if it's really white.
Posted By: Kahuna

Re: Quail hunting in snow covered ground - 12/30/15 02:11 PM

Quit early, so they can covey up before dark.

Re: Quail hunting in snow covered ground - 12/30/15 02:18 PM

10-4. Is 2:00pm to late?

Re: Quail hunting in snow covered ground - 12/30/15 02:22 PM

We will see because I'm almost there and its solid white out here.
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: Quail hunting in snow covered ground - 12/30/15 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Catch Dog
10-4. Is 2:00pm to late?

IMO no, I'd say 4:30-5ish. Gives them an hour maybe a little bit more to covey up. Now if I found a covey right at 4:30-5, I wouldn't chase singles and get them split up even further.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Quail hunting in snow covered ground - 12/30/15 05:14 PM

Haven't done it much but it beat the snot out of staying at home.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Quail hunting in snow covered ground - 12/30/15 05:41 PM

If the sun shines they will move around. If it stays cloudy they wont and will be hard to find.
It is fun to watch your dog work in the snow though. But I think it is hard on their feet.

Re: Quail hunting in snow covered ground - 12/30/15 06:34 PM

Stinkbelly where you going up there?

Re: Quail hunting in snow covered ground - 12/31/15 03:16 AM

I was by childress. I hunted about 6 hours. It was hard until the sun came out, then they were everywhere. I found 8 coveys and missed almost all of them.

The dogs have bloody feet.

Re: Quail hunting in snow covered ground - 12/31/15 03:53 AM

Dang it. I have some old boots I will put on them.

Re: Quail hunting in snow covered ground - 01/02/16 12:27 AM

Ok, hunting in the snow is not as much fun as I thought it would be. (3' in some places, 1' all around) But, we found 4 hens and two quail, so never fired a shot. Hopefully tomorrow will be better with some colorful roosters in the bag. Added a pic from this afternoon.
Posted By: Bengoin

Re: Quail hunting in snow covered ground - 01/04/16 12:36 PM

I hunted quail at the Pitchfork Ranch this weekend and was very successful in the snow, however it was a bit treacherous cause the snow was frozen and very slick. Busted my azz several times. flushed lots of coveys and we would get 1 or 2 then move on to the next covey. Limits on Friday and Saturday. Quail population there has really jumped back since the 11 fire.
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: Quail hunting in snow covered ground - 01/04/16 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Bengoin
I hunted quail at the Pitchfork Ranch this weekend and was very successful in the snow, however it was a bit treacherous cause the snow was frozen and very slick. Busted my azz several times. flushed lots of coveys and we would get 1 or 2 then move on to the next covey. Limits on Friday and Saturday. Quail population there has really jumped back since the 11 fire.

I've heard great things from that ranch this year. There wasn't a ton of snow on the ground this weekend but you're right, what was on the ground was extremely slick.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Quail hunting in snow covered ground - 01/04/16 03:37 PM

Found 24 coveys this past week. Haven't seen that many quail in 15 years in our area of the panhandle. Snow helped with visibility, but walking on it was tough.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Quail hunting in snow covered ground - 01/04/16 03:49 PM

That's great A.B. Quite a difference from busting miles of brush and briars to find those woodcock needles in the haystack.

If I ever take Jenny quail hunting on a good place she will probably short-circuit from bird overload. smile
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Quail hunting in snow covered ground - 01/04/16 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
That's great A.B. Quite a difference from busting miles of brush and briars to find those woodcock needles in the haystack.

If I ever take Jenny quail hunting on a good place she will probably short-circuit from bird overload. smile

We will try and hunt woodcock this weekend. If the waters recede.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum