Texas Hunting Forum

SW Kansas weather advice

Posted By: whiteowl

SW Kansas weather advice - 12/26/15 12:13 AM

I have been planning on leaving out Sunday morning for SW Kansas and hunting 3-4 days. With the snow and rain coming I am thinking of canceling or at least waiting until about Tuesday before heading up. I am not really concerned with the hiways but the dirt county roads because I will be driving a 2 WD suburban. I plan on hunting the walk in stuff and knocking on a few doors. Anyone have any thoughts on what the roads may be like or suggestions. Forecast calling for 4-8 inches of snow Sunday and Monday then single digits to 25-30 for a few days.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: SW Kansas weather advice - 12/26/15 12:31 AM

I got an email from a friend who went up there on a hunt from the devil because of the weather. Please don't make a post about the hunt from the devil.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: SW Kansas weather advice - 12/26/15 04:00 PM

I have never had a problem. In the mud and snow up there I only remember needing 4x4 once. I guess once is too much for a two wheel drive.
Posted By: SilverDogs

Re: SW Kansas weather advice - 12/26/15 04:42 PM

I would avoid the TX and OK panhandles on your way up. Starting tonight thru Monday we are expecting 8-15" of snow with 50mph winds.

Re: SW Kansas weather advice - 12/26/15 08:42 PM

Thanks. Right now my thinking is leave Tuesday morning and hunt Wednesday- Friday. Guess I will just watch and wait.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: SW Kansas weather advice - 12/27/15 12:46 AM

some of the county roads are passable (dirt) some are not, grew up north of Cimarron and walked several time after getting stuck. weather is not good at this moment.
Posted By: elstone

Re: SW Kansas weather advice - 12/27/15 01:16 AM

Used to hunt around Scott City every year. If it's just rain and above freezing, the dirt roads are pretty tough for a two wheeled drive. The mud it pretty slippery. Spent the better part of a day one year sliding off the road in the 2wd and pulling it out with the 4wd we had with us. That night it snowed and the ground froze and we had no problem getting around in the 2wd.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: SW Kansas weather advice - 12/27/15 09:56 PM

I was in SW Kansas all week. A lot of the county roads around dodge city, jetmore ect. are horrible. I ended up in the ditch a few times but luckily never got completely stuck. If you have 2wd you can forget about getting to a lot of the walk in areas. Especially after the rain and snow that's hitting now.

Re: SW Kansas weather advice - 12/27/15 11:58 PM

Sat here all day today thinking about it. Pouring rain and watching the damage from last night on tv. I think I would be better off just to stay home and duck hunt. My dog really doesn't care what kind of birds anyway. Oh well maybe next year. Thanks for the input and advice.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum