Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting in the fog

Posted By: bill oxner

Hunting in the fog - 12/22/15 01:49 PM

I've had some of my best hunts while hunting in the fog. We had an outing the other day which started out in a pretty thick fog. We lost Cracker just a few yards into the hunt. The Garmin took us to her. Here she was.

Do you find scenting conditions better in the fog?
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Hunting in the fog - 12/22/15 01:50 PM

Love hunting in fog. Great pic Bill
Posted By: Kahuna

Re: Hunting in the fog - 12/22/15 02:04 PM

Problem is watching covey after flush! For me anyway.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Hunting in the fog - 12/22/15 02:23 PM

Absolutely, the scenting conditions are better in the fog. The only issues I have experienced with foggy mornings are... typically to have a heavy fog, you have light wind to no breeze at all and that can be an issue because you wont get much of a scent cone. Also, in my experience, quail don't like to flush in the fog. I would guess it's because they can't see above themselves (for predators), but on really foggy mornings, birds tend to run and stay on the ground.

cold foggy mornings with a breeze, just as the fog is lifting... dogs will be on fire and that will put some birds on your gun for sure!
Posted By: Txsquail

Re: Hunting in the fog - 12/24/15 11:42 PM

Pretty much the best scenting conditions you can have : fog = high humidity and moisture. If the fog is thick enough to get your boots wet, I can almost smell those birds!
Posted By: nak

Re: Hunting in the fog - 12/25/15 03:09 AM

You've gotta love a dog that will hold hard enough for you to track them down with the gps.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum