Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for some help

Posted By: Otis

Looking for some help - 12/22/15 03:20 AM

I recently moved back to Texas from Arizona. I'm looking to go hunting on some wild birds... I'm not a fan of the cage raised. I've a got a young GSP who is exceptionally good at finding birds. He holds very strong to flush... Not yet steady to shot. I'm really looking for some hunting friends. I know some great spots and connections in Tucson for some awesome quail hunts and grand slam opportunities. I'm located around Houston but I'm willing to travel virtually anywhere for a good, wild bird hunt. I'm 28 and my dog, Leonidas, is 2. I've got some pictures but I don't believe this site is compatible with phone pics so I'll try to upload them later.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Looking for some help - 12/22/15 05:30 AM

I hear your drive for wild birds AND if ever in the need for a quick fix on some birds you will not take on the first flush consider giving us a try. Your dog will enjoy I guarantee and we care so close and easy.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Looking for some help - 12/22/15 01:31 PM

Some people are having uploading pictures directly from their cell phones. Others have no problem. Click onto the fifth little box over the quick reply box and follow the directions.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Looking for some help - 12/22/15 04:44 PM

The chaparral wma will be open the first weekend of January for quail and it's about 3.5 hours from Houston. Good quail numbers this year.
Posted By: Otis

Re: Looking for some help - 12/23/15 03:54 AM

I tried a few times through that link. I think it's the iPhone picture file format. Googling chaparral wma now. Any other info as to what that is?
Posted By: TXBomb05

Re: Looking for some help - 01/04/16 05:26 AM

I know you're looking for wild birds, but if you're willing to give pen raised a try in the interim, then I'm game for a hunt at Top Flight in Columbus...an hour west of Houston. I've been a dozen times and have yet to have a bad hunt. The Chuckar sit fairly tight, but the quail and pheasant can be very comparable to wild birds. This late in the season there are plenty of "wild" coveys that have been survivng in the bush....many hunters don't leave with all of their quail. Bringing your own dog to TF is fine. I'm not a member there, just have had some good hunts there. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. Good luck in your search.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Looking for some help - 01/04/16 03:02 PM

I know WGO in Waller also does planted hunts, where you can use your own dogs.
Its $150 for 6 pheasants. I didn't ask the pricing if you decided to go with chuckar.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum