Texas Hunting Forum

shoot the covey rise ?

Posted By: Pointer

shoot the covey rise ? - 12/13/15 06:13 PM

A group I was with recently refused to shoot the covey rise. Do you? Why, or why not?
Posted By: Chet

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/13/15 06:30 PM

I always shoot the rise but would be very interested in why they don't.. I shoot (at) the rise and let the singles rest. On our lease our aim is to have birds in Feb. so not chasing singles and only taking 2 or so out of the rise is just good management. But with my lack of shooting prowess I'm a one man conservation program.

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/13/15 06:48 PM

I believe their reasoning was that they had always hunted the singles so they could better concentrate on the individual bird. I have to say regardless of their reasoning, we seemed to have less cripples than normal.

The group could shoot!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/13/15 07:06 PM

I've never heard of it. This is a first for me.
Posted By: blanked

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/13/15 07:27 PM

All of these rules for hunting bobs..... Takes the fun out of it for me

Not about bird management everything else

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/13/15 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: blanked
All of these rules for hunting bobs..... Takes the fun out of it for me

Not about bird management everything else

Me too. That's the price you have to pay when you guide for others.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/13/15 08:09 PM

Can someone elaborate on "covey rise". Thanks

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/13/15 08:15 PM

Jorge, what I am referring to is when the pointing dog has located the birds, gone on point, and the whole bunch explodes into the air to make their escape. The above group would not shoot at that point, instead, they preferred to mark the covey down, and then go after the singles.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/13/15 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pointer
Jorge, what I am referring to is when the pointing dog has located the birds, gone on point, and the whole bunch explodes into the air to make their escape. The above group would not shoot at that point, instead, they preferred to mark the covey down, and then go after the singles.

Hey, I'm on a deer lease where our illustrious leader prefers to skillet shoot blues.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/13/15 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by Pointer

Hey, I'm on a deer lease where our illustrious leader prefers to skillet shoot blues.
rofl
Posted By: Sweese

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/13/15 11:48 PM

Yes, because I have usually been walking for a while. I will choose one out of the covey, two, if it is a good day. I would do the same when getting up a group of grouse or pheasants.

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/13/15 11:53 PM

I don't like to do singles.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/14/15 12:00 AM

I'm seeing more quail this year than the last ten together... I'd shoot the quail...
Posted By: huntwest

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/14/15 02:39 AM

Only shoot covey rise. Never pressure singles.
This year our birds are so tame we could decimate a couple coveys a day.
We even have a 8 bird daily limit and I voted for 6.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/15/15 06:51 AM

Interesting, thanks for giving the 411
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/15/15 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I've never heard of it. This is a first for me.
+1
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/15/15 01:52 PM

Not a good option in SW Kansas, where I hunt most of the time. They hit the 40mph wind, cross 4 sandhills, and the only thing you know is that they are probably in a 3 square mile area "somewhere over in that general direction."
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/15/15 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Pointer

Sounds to me like they are poor shots and are taking the "easy" route on the singles.
Posted By: duckbill

Re: shoot the covey rise ? - 12/15/15 03:17 PM

I've never heard of this either. Seems silly to me.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum