Texas Hunting Forum

where to go for diy pheasant

Posted By: assassinator

where to go for diy pheasant - 12/06/15 02:32 AM

I want to go pheasant hunting next week. Would like mostly do it yourself type of the hunt without spending to much. Just me and my lab. Should I stay in Texas, go to Oklahoma, or Kansas? I would like to stay under a 7 hour drive from Fort Worth, keep it affordable ,and would like to shoot some birds. Where should I go?
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: where to go for diy pheasant - 12/06/15 04:04 AM

My vote, get a Kansas WIHA map/app on your phone, load up, and hit Hodgeman, Ford, Edwards, Kiowa county. Maybe even Harper county on your way home. Better bring some 8 shot for quail too, you will need em. Good luck
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: where to go for diy pheasant - 12/06/15 02:57 PM

I can't figure out when to put in the 8 shot. Whichever shot you put in, the other bird is gonna fly.
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: where to go for diy pheasant - 12/06/15 03:36 PM

Yeah - I only do it when chasing marked singles from a covey rise. I switched to 6 shot this year because of all the quail up there, where I normally do 5 shot as a compromise
Posted By: Kahuna

Re: where to go for diy pheasant - 12/06/15 06:32 PM

Pheasant numbers not rebounding in Oklahoma like quail. Save yourself a trip.
Posted By: Spinone

Re: where to go for diy pheasant - 12/07/15 01:52 AM

Kansas or southwest Nebraska. WIHA. In sw Nebraska you might even find prairie grouse.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: where to go for diy pheasant - 12/09/15 04:39 PM

My nephew does some of it out near Lubbock.
They have pretty good success. You'll find pheasant and quail.
The week after Christmas you can shoot dove too.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: where to go for diy pheasant - 12/14/15 03:38 AM

Numbers are down but Kansas has the best access---Get a WIA map, look for crp grass walk in areas near crops. If you understand township system you can find WIAs areas in Kansas. Don't hesitate to ask about WIAs locals will direct you to them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum