Texas Hunting Forum

Heavy cover and dogs?

Posted By: Jkd106

Heavy cover and dogs? - 12/02/15 01:08 AM

Just wandering how your dogs are doing in the big broom weeds and sunflowers? We are heading back west tomorrow to deer hunt, but taking a couple dogs with us. We are loaded with a good crop of birds and its been awhile since we have seen this.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Heavy cover and dogs? - 12/02/15 01:13 AM

We're mostly spot hunting. We pick up when it gets too heave. Make sure your Garmin is fully charged.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Heavy cover and dogs? - 12/02/15 01:26 AM

Yes sir its charged, and spotting is what we do mostly, which seems its gonna be easier this year.
Posted By: cattle69

Re: Heavy cover and dogs? - 12/02/15 03:26 AM

Should be better after the ice storm last week.
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: Heavy cover and dogs? - 12/02/15 02:50 PM

Lion Country vests are pretty helpful this year. Protects their chest and adds more visibility.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Heavy cover and dogs? - 12/02/15 03:04 PM

Hunted stuff so thick two weeks ago that I lost one dog twice. He usually hangs fairly close.

I didn't turn on his beeper. I will when I go back.
That got a little spooky the second time, the sun was getting low.

Re: Heavy cover and dogs? - 12/02/15 03:24 PM

The thing is I seldom find birds in the really thick weeds while hunting. Quail like an overhead escape route. Notice where they roost.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Heavy cover and dogs? - 12/02/15 03:32 PM

That's the nice thing about a UTV with seats on top, the guy on top can spot the shorter grass areas that are beyond some of the tall stuff at our place. Works pretty good. Like Bill said, we rarely find birds in tall thick cover.

Re: Heavy cover and dogs? - 12/02/15 03:36 PM

The day we hunted the wind was galeing out of the north at about 20-25. The birds were hunkered down in draws around ponds and creeks. Hard hunting, tough scenting and really heavy cover.

....still rather been there then anywhere.

Re: Heavy cover and dogs? - 12/02/15 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan

The day we hunted the wind was galeing out of the north at about 20-25. The birds were hunkered down in draws around ponds and creeks. Hard hunting, tough scenting and really heavy cover.

You need to retire and hunt only on good quail hunting days.

Re: Heavy cover and dogs? - 12/02/15 05:28 PM

Soon, buddy. Soon.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Heavy cover and dogs? - 12/02/15 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Originally Posted By: reeltexan

You need to retire and hunt only on good quail hunting days.

You gotta admit, this is solid advise.

Re: Heavy cover and dogs? - 12/02/15 07:51 PM

I'm gonna fish on days like that too.
Posted By: kgbill

Re: Heavy cover and dogs? - 12/03/15 03:16 AM

I need to try those vests. We hunted a place with some pretty extensive Russian thistle, and a couple of our pups quit after a couple hours.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Heavy cover and dogs? - 12/03/15 10:45 PM

Id like to use one on my Brit. But I'm afraid she'd overheat where I hunt. The furminator works pretty good at removing sand burs from the belly and arm pit areas. Also gave her a 1/4" field trim
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum