Texas Hunting Forum

DOG BOOTS

Posted By: GA DOG 2

DOG BOOTS - 09/28/15 08:43 PM

Would like to hear a discussion on the best dog boots. I'm using Lewis boots but have not hunted in TX. in the past 4 years but plan to be there this winter. Has anyone a suggestion on the best boots available now? Tried some of the "tennis shoe" type and was impressed. Chime in guys has anybody reinvented the dog boot? THANKS Ga Dog
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: DOG BOOTS - 09/28/15 08:59 PM

Mine spent more time chewing on the shoes than they did the stickers and cactus. Around their second year they learn to avoid a bunch of it and/or their feet got tough. Only knew of one place too covered in grass burrs to hunt, was no fun for the dogs or me.

Re: DOG BOOTS - 09/29/15 02:00 PM

Grass burrs are our problem, and dogs raised and hunted in Ga. all their life are really put off their game by them. We don't make it to Tx. more than a couple of times a year.
Posted By: Ringman

Re: DOG BOOTS - 09/29/15 06:03 PM

Tried some Redheads 5 years ago and did not have success. One boot lost in the field.
Took the others off, dogs fought them continuously.
One dog has learned to void issues. The other doesn't care...unstoppable when hunting.
Spend the evening plucking all kinds of stuff out of his nose, feet and legs.
Seems like their feet get tougher as they grow and the more they hunt.
Would be interested if there is something new on the market or someone with other brand and better experience.
Posted By: TXPanhandler

Re: DOG BOOTS - 09/30/15 12:30 AM

Lewis dog boots are the only boot I have ever found to work and stay on. Mine are too busy hunting to worry about them after we leave the truck and they are great defense on grass burrs, but prickly pear go right through them.
Posted By: Chet

Re: DOG BOOTS - 09/30/15 12:32 AM

+1
Posted By: blanked

Re: DOG BOOTS - 09/30/15 01:11 AM

Dont half [censored] dog feet on an out of state trip or your coming home early. Lewis boots. Learn how fo put them on properly
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: DOG BOOTS - 09/30/15 01:36 PM

They're easier without dew claws.
Posted By: tigger

Re: DOG BOOTS - 09/30/15 07:18 PM

Lewis again

Re: DOG BOOTS - 09/30/15 07:39 PM

Bill you are correct about that my last pup I had them (dew claws) removed when she was young and the boots stay on better and don't rub the ankle. I started using vet wrap on my dogs that have dew claws and it seem to stop the claw from get so irritated.
Posted By: Boss1

Re: DOG BOOTS - 10/06/15 02:00 AM

From WT Lewis dog boot hands down.Put em on correctly though. I use athletic tape first on lower leg. put boot on, electric tape to athletic tape and around boot, then duct tape. takes a little time but worth it.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: DOG BOOTS - 10/06/15 02:25 AM

I know that the boots are a necessity in a lot of places. I have heard a lot of discussion that they can be bad for a hard-charging dog. Seems to be a higher propensity of dogs tearing their ACL while wearing boots. I guess one would have to weigh the risk versus reward in this case. I know that the surgery is very pricey to have done.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: DOG BOOTS - 10/06/15 03:26 AM

In a pinch you can make them out of duct tape.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum