Texas Hunting Forum

Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt

Posted By: Cajun Raider

Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 09/08/15 07:20 PM

Is anyone familiar with this annual hunt? Your observations and recommendations please. Thanks
Posted By: TXPanhandler

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 09/09/15 01:58 AM

I hunt that area quite a bit for both waterfowl and pheasant. There weren't many birds last year but we killed a fair amount. Haven't been down this year but all the guys say the same thing, "not many birds around these days." Hopefully it will be a little better this year. Most of the places given to the lions club hunt are pivots where you walk stalks.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 09/09/15 01:03 PM

Very few birds last year.
Posted By: 3 alarm bbq

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 09/09/15 02:49 PM

We usually do this hunt. There is plenty of land to hunt, very few birds the last 3 years, but if you put your work in you'll find some birds.
Posted By: TXPanhandler

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 09/14/15 12:00 AM

I was around Hart for about 2 hours Friday afternoon from 6:30 till dark and counted 17 pheasants. Some were on the highway but most of them on dirt roads and turn rows.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 09/14/15 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: TXPanhandler
I was around Hart for about 2 hours Friday afternoon from 6:30 till dark and counted 17 pheasants. Some were on the highway but most of them on dirt roads and turn rows.

Good sign!!!
Posted By: kweber

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 09/14/15 01:38 AM

long ago when some of us started trucking cattle from SoTx to the Panhandle ..
we were somewhere up there and a rooster ran across the road...
guy in truck in front me asked in Spanish...CB radio
"quien esta gallo?"
"what kind of chicken is that?"
Posted By: kgbill

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 09/18/15 05:18 AM

I do it every year because it's local and it's for a great cause, but i won't lie. It has been very poor the last 3 years. The cover grew last year, but there just wasn't any seed stock to speak of. It will probably be a little better this year, but the pheasant always run a year or two behind quail. Crash later; recover later.
Posted By: Somebeach

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 09/20/15 12:35 AM

Can't seem to find much info on where a guy would sign up for this at. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Posted By: lunatichunter

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 09/20/15 03:35 AM

We are making the 11 hour trip from the Gulf Coast to hunt the Hart Lions club Hunt. Call Tony Leibel 806-647-7444
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 10/06/15 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: kweber
"quien esta gallo?"

funny stuff
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 10/06/15 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan
Originally Posted By: kweber
"quien esta gallo?"

funny stuff

Not funny..It could be an escapee from some planted or released hunt.
Posted By: Coldwind

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 10/06/15 05:57 PM

I am getting reliable reports that the (truly) wild Panhandle pheasants had a good hatch this spring and summer.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 10/06/15 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: lunatichunter
We are making the 11 hour trip from the Gulf Coast to hunt the Hart Lions club Hunt. Call Tony Leibel 806-647-7444

Talked to Tony. They got good participation from land owners and it's been an above average hatch. I'll be doing some hunting up there.
Posted By: kweber

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 10/06/15 10:44 PM

good to hear...
seen lotsa birds up there yrs back...
would like to get a few some day w/out a Peterbilt bumper
Posted By: Briar Rabbit

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 10/10/15 11:20 AM

Thanks for the info, I've moved up to Arkansas and have't been able to get back out to the Panhandle. But I'm going to make an effort and committ my money to the Lion's club, its for a good cause anyways.

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 10/29/15 09:30 AM

We will be there opening weekend. See you there.
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 10/29/15 01:32 PM

So will we....
Posted By: whiteowl

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 10/29/15 03:24 PM

What are they charging this year?
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 10/29/15 04:17 PM

$200 for Sat/Sun or $150 for Sun only.
Posted By: whiteowl

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 10/29/15 04:59 PM

Hunted it once about 7 years ago and if I remember right you could hunt the rest of the season also. I won't be able to make opening weekend but could hunt later. Am I correct about the rest of the season?

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 10/29/15 06:12 PM

You are correct. $200 covers the whole season.

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 10/30/15 07:28 PM

Guy that was going with is going to have surgery. I am from the Houston area, is it worth going out by yourself? Do they team you up with someone else? How about food and lodging, where and how do most folks handle this? Thanks
Posted By: jmscalf

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 10/31/15 02:44 AM

I'm interested in knowing more details about this hunt as well. More 1st hand experience about these hunts.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 10/31/15 11:51 AM

Opening morning they had a field reserved for us. Our group was large, so they even had someone drive to the field that we could follow. After we hunted that, we could hunt any field on the maps. I don't remember the exact amount, but they had a lot of different properties. They cover breakfast on opening day, and lodging was easy to find right outside of Hart. Stayed at Quality Inn in Plainview because they allow dogs.

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 10/31/15 12:17 PM

My two buddys backed out too but I was able to get my brother to go. It has been on my bucket list so I was going to go by myself regardless. Tony told me we all meet up for breakfast at Hart Golden Group (on Hwy 194) at 5:30 am where we get our permits. After breakfast I believe we are on our own. Permits good for quail too. My understanding is we hunt in groups. They were taking the first 110 paid up hunters and the $200 is for all season. Opening weekend must be the best time. Don't know if us being 11 hrs away that we would make another trip. It was suggested to get lodging in Plainview a few miles from Hart. I have reservations at the Holiday Inn in Plainview. If anyone needs anymore info I would be more than happy to text you a pic of the registration letter explaining it all. PM me your phone number. Let's go shoot some gallos.
Originally Posted By: Cajun Raider
Guy that was going with is going to have surgery. I am from the Houston area, is it worth going out by yourself? Do they team you up with someone else? How about food and lodging, where and how do most folks handle this? Thanks

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 10/31/15 01:49 PM

PM sent
Posted By: jmscalf

Re: Hart, Texas Pheasant Hunt - 11/02/15 12:29 AM

Lunatic would you mind PMing me what info you have?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum