Texas Hunting Forum

Korean Pheasant...........

Posted By: bodydub

Korean Pheasant........... - 08/27/15 02:27 AM

So I'm currently working on my third tour in Korea (ARMY)at the moment. The first was back in 98 right after I was introduced to upland hunting while I ws in Kansas. I was amazed at the amount of pheasants around our airfields, and if you looked hard enough you could easily see one on a daily basis. Now for those who don't know Korea is a no-gun country. So there went any idea I had of some sort of pheaseant hunting. Left Korea the first time, came back the second and left again with pheasants all around me. I even had a rooster that I would watch out my window crow in the AM every morning behind my barracks. Doing some searching on the intenet last year........Lol, so I was typing this post and took a friend to the store real quick. My car is parked in a little grassy area in front of our work and I flushed a rooster as I was walking to it. He flushed about 5ft in front of my car and cackled his butt of for about 30 feet to a wooded area. Talk about a rush and pefect timing. That's something I havent done in 13yrs.......Anyhow back to my story. I ran across a thread in another forum that there was pheasant hunting on a korean island south of the peninsula. So I did some research on it and I plan on taking about 5 guys on a trip down there sometime this winter. I am STOKED about this trip, not to mention we can shoot both roosters and hens. I'll post up pics and updates as we get closer..............
Posted By: Coldwind

Re: Korean Pheasant........... - 08/27/15 03:12 AM

Great story send us some pictures. One of my high school friends was stationed in Korean years ago and he also told me about the wild pheasants over there.

That Korean ringneck pheasant is almost identical to the wild pheasants that you will see in Kansas and in the Texas panhandle. I was told that years ago both Texas and Missouri (years ago in the early 70's maybe) obtained original wild Korean ringneck pheasant brood stock (wild genes) for their pen raised pheasant brood stock that was released in various parts of the state. I wish we could get more of that wild authentic brood stock, because some of the commercially available pen raised pheasants I have ordered for release into the wild were kind of tame, and didn't know how to duck and hide at first, but some of them got wilder after a few days. They were easy pickings for the predators.
Posted By: THETEXAN

Re: Korean Pheasant........... - 08/27/15 04:24 AM

That's Awesome!
Posted By: bodydub

Re: Korean Pheasant........... - 08/27/15 04:34 AM

Well look who was here to greet me when I came back from lunch..........

Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Korean Pheasant........... - 08/27/15 11:30 AM

That is cool.

What about bowhunting them?
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Korean Pheasant........... - 08/27/15 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: stinkbelly
That is cool.

What about bowhunting them?

My first thought. Lots of fun with a bow.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Korean Pheasant........... - 08/27/15 06:24 PM

I got off Active Duty in 81, so this is a long time ago, but while stationed at Ft Hood we had some guys come into the unit that had rotated back from Korea. They had been assigned to an ASA listening post on the DMZ, on Thanksgiving, they got a surprise visit from LTG Emmerson, with a full turkey dinner, the problem was the cooks had a bunch of pheasants in the oven. It turned out, that they had had their M16's replaced with shotguns for guard duty, a couple of guys on R&R where they had a trap range, had brought back some trap loads. After they had killed a few by the site, word got out to the locals, who invited them to come shoot the pheasants in their fields. The shotguns disappeared a couple of day's after the General's visit.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum