Texas Hunting Forum

Wanting to start Rio Grande Valley/Laredo Dove/Upland club... yalls thoughts.

Posted By: Mike Honcho

Wanting to start Rio Grande Valley/Laredo Dove/Upland club... yalls thoughts. - 07/02/15 08:18 PM

Our family has 250ac located 15min from dowtown mcallen, 1.5 hr from laredo, 30 min from harlingen, on the river.

Its usually good dove hunting, but if there is enough interest, id start raising quail and possibly phesants for members. There will be a small range; (2) 100/200 yd rifle lane and (2) pistol lanes. Slowly i would rennovate one of the houses to serve as a club house with kitchen so guys could come hunt morning/afternoon and watch the game or have a beer and bbq in afternoon. I didnt plant sunflower this year, but if this gets off the ground it'll be done every year. In addition, members would have access to train dogs and have birds available. The goal would be to have a professional trainer be part of the organization to offer classes and individual training. possibly hog, predator, and javalina hunts on the premises will be available with membership. Have no idea on costs or number of spots.

I have contacted quail and phesants forever and they have been a great resource and help thus far.

Pm me or contact me if interested. Also id like anyones opinions or thoughts to my idea.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Wanting to start Rio Grande Valley/Laredo Dove/Upland club... yalls thoughts. - 07/02/15 09:41 PM

I think it's a good idea, but you may not have a very big pool of prospects in that area.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Wanting to start Rio Grande Valley/Laredo Dove/Upland club... yalls thoughts. - 07/03/15 12:55 PM

My first thought is 250 acres is small, for all the different things your naming.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Wanting to start Rio Grande Valley/Laredo Dove/Upland club... yalls thoughts. - 07/03/15 06:38 PM

(4) 50ac fields, and (1) 45ac field.
5ac remain as buffer and where the club house would be. The south side i have 25 ac, which i dont include in the listed 250ac,of very very thick brush, which i could easily turn part into a range a again. Also, where turkey, hogs, javis, and predators frequent. In fact the 10+ bobcats ive shot all from this 25ac area. Ive even seen 2 mountain lion, but only had 22mag and nothing at the time and were 600+ yds. It seems small, but what is very unique is the layout. Due to the levee system 25ft steep levee, u cant drive a atv or truck down them any more, it has it divided into 3rds or 4ths depending on how birds were released. Most places ive been to or contacted run 50ac fields as norm some run larger up to 100-150ac. Quail forever confirmed 50ac per 4-6 guys was acceptable safe distance.
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Wanting to start Rio Grande Valley/Laredo Dove/Upland club... yalls thoughts. - 07/26/15 06:11 PM

Jorge,

Call me tomorrow and I will talk with you about this idea. I think your on a great track.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Wanting to start Rio Grande Valley/Laredo Dove/Upland club... yalls thoughts. - 07/29/15 01:33 AM

I like your idea and we have talked by phone. My concern is your location and being able to draw a crowd at all and into the season. I think if you could invest real money to develop a drop dead great dove hunting venue that drew people from near and far and the introduce the quail hunting. Good luck
Posted By: magspa

Re: Wanting to start Rio Grande Valley/Laredo Dove/Upland club... yalls thoughts. - 07/29/15 02:10 AM

message sent.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum