Texas Hunting Forum

Pointing turtles

Posted By: bill oxner

Pointing turtles - 06/15/15 01:58 PM

I've had them do it in the field but this morning Cracker pointed one on our morning walk. Have you ever?
Posted By: kindall

Re: Pointing turtles - 06/15/15 02:56 PM

Mine don't point them, but I have a female that retrieves them.
She has always been a glutton for praise. I told her Good Girl, and gave her a rub for bringing me a turtle, instead of trying to chew its shell off. Since that day she brings me every one she finds. I think 4 box turtles is the most she has found in one day in the field.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Pointing turtles - 06/15/15 03:06 PM

I thought Bill had developed a new breed of turtle that would point birds when I read the title.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Pointing turtles - 06/15/15 03:06 PM

Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Pointing turtles - 06/15/15 05:10 PM

Bill,
I was running in a horseback amateur shooting dog field trial one time with a long, gangly Elhew male that could flat out fly. It was a wild bird trial and birds were thin. He was to the front showing at about a quarter of a mile or better and wheeled around and pointed for everyone to see. As they say, he was stacked up like a courtyard cannon. I spurred my horse on to get to him and thinking all along that if I get to flush, I have won this trial. I flushed until I was dang near give out with no result. I tapped him on the head to relocate. He got close enough that his eyes were bugging out. I thought I have a point, long hold, and a relocation, I am going to be cutting cake. Turns out that it was a terrapin box turtle he had pointed. Needless to say, I went home disappointed.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Pointing turtles - 06/15/15 06:33 PM

Mine point rabbits.
Wish they wouldn't.
Posted By: Wool E. Booger

Re: Pointing turtles - 06/16/15 02:31 PM

I have often wondered why my GSP brings me at least one box turtle a day during this time of the year. I am glad to hear it's not just him that does this, must be something with the pointer breed.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Pointing turtles - 06/16/15 07:04 PM

Turtle pointing was common with lots of dogs I remember. But Bozo on Skunks and Mikey on Armadillos were my 2 standouts.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Pointing turtles - 06/17/15 12:41 PM

My boy has trained our dog to hunt down the 3 toed box turtle that lives in our back yard. When the boy wants to show his friends the turtle, he calls the dog and says "Turtle!" and there goes the dog. Once located the dog will stand over it or starts rolling it and scratching at it.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Pointing turtles - 06/17/15 04:22 PM

My dogs get some much pent up energy they start pointing everything frogs, tirtles, grass hopper you name it and they want to hunt it.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Pointing turtles - 06/17/15 04:33 PM

I love to watch puppies point lizards around the yard.
Posted By: Strongbad

Re: Pointing turtles - 06/17/15 07:21 PM

We had a GSP when I was a kid that would point minnows for our lab who would then run them up on to the bank. Stranger things have happened! smile
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum