Texas Hunting Forum

Kennels on hunting lease

Posted By: bill oxner

Kennels on hunting lease - 04/16/15 04:57 PM

Someone asked about kennels on the lease forum. I have never and would not use the. My dogs have always been more comfortable in their dog boxes or in the trailer. Do you like them?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Kennels on hunting lease - 04/16/15 07:36 PM

I've used them. Gives them more room and air.
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Kennels on hunting lease - 04/17/15 01:18 AM

I would be cautious about using them, but that is just me. Nor do I like to board someone else's dogs. You just never know where something like parvo is hiding and can be brought back or introduced to your kennels.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Kennels on hunting lease - 04/17/15 12:25 PM

The one lease that I have been on that had kennels, I used them one night but I bet my dogs didn't sleep 20 minutes all night from barking at all the different critters that came by. I make sure all of them are tired from hunting and ready to sleep in their boxes now. I like to hunt till about an hour before dark then head back to the truck, hang out for a bit reflecting on the hunt an drink an adult beverage or two and feed all the dogs while still out in the field, then put all of them up to rest for a few hours, while we head back to the Motel (part of the property backs up to the motel), we fix us something to eat and at about 8 or 9 we go back out and let all of them use the rest room and get a good night drink of water then back in their boxes for the night. I'm usually up and outside letting them back out before 7 am.
Posted By: tigger

Re: Kennels on hunting lease - 04/17/15 01:18 PM

Used them for years, had a 20 run kennel on concrete. Working 10 dogs for 2 weeks at a time it was luxury. Storage for food, running water, good dog houses. I have had a dog snake bit but I have had 3 dogs snake bit in kennels at home. Since I am down to 3 dogs and only hunt 2 days at a time it is not near as important as it use to be.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Kennels on hunting lease - 04/17/15 01:46 PM

The kennels I used in South Texas were built up off the ground with wire mesh floors.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Kennels on hunting lease - 04/17/15 09:46 PM

I've used them during the day, if the dog was not going to be hunted until the next day.
My dogs sleep in bed with me most of the time when we are out of town, or in their crates if the beds not big enough. I doubt they would get much rest in a kennel at night as they sleep inside my home.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Kennels on hunting lease - 04/20/15 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: kindall
I've used them during the day, if the dog was not going to be hunted until the next day.
My dogs sleep in bed with me most of the time when we are out of town, or in their crates if the beds not big enough. I doubt they would get much rest in a kennel at night as they sleep inside my home.

I am the same way. When they are on the road they know they get to sleep with me. When at home they don't even ask. They have their own beds at the foot of our bed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum