Texas Hunting Forum

Unbroken

Posted By: bill oxner

Unbroken - 03/12/15 11:19 PM

Ever seen or had one that couldn't be broke?
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Unbroken - 03/12/15 11:28 PM

I had a britt that had no desire to hunt. Would just walk right over a bird and never pay it any mind at all, her son (a one pup litter), was one of the best dogs I have ever had. He has moved to second place as far as birds found in a lifetime because of Daisy but he was a hell of a dog.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Unbroken - 03/12/15 11:39 PM

Where does your pointer get rated as far as birds pointed this season

Re: Unbroken - 03/12/15 11:44 PM

Cracker would almost fall in the born broke category. I've never seen her intentionally take out a bird or fail to back. I had two that chat came unbroke without the e-collar.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Unbroken - 03/12/15 11:55 PM

Sure! I traded for a son of a National Champion in the NBHA. Dog could care less about a bird but became a good hog dog in Arkansas.
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Unbroken - 03/13/15 05:14 AM

A few years ago, I was involved with evaluating, and then subsequently training 5 female setters from the same litter.
One, altho she seemed to love to chase birds, never was interested in pointing them. Unless she was restrained in some manner, as soon as she scented a bird, would charge. We used launchers to convince her she was not going to catch the bird to no avail. She had been thru whoa training just like the rest, and she would stop and drop to the ground, if bumped with a collar, but only then. She was convinced she was a flushing dog, and remains that way to this day, if my information is correct. Her sisters made birddogs.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Unbroken - 03/13/15 11:51 AM

If you stay around this sport long enough, you will find that good ones are hard to obtain and it takes alot of time and effort. My Daddy taught me a long time ago that it cost the same to feed a sorry dog as it does a good one. I have had a few cull dogs in my day and there is nothing more disappointing to me. Cut your losses and move on to the next one as soon as possible. Find them a new home.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Unbroken - 03/13/15 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: blanked
Where does your pointer get rated as far as birds pointed this season

3rd.
Daisy
Bleu
Ace

Re: Unbroken - 03/13/15 05:52 PM

It's easy to forgive a dog that finds its own birds and takes them out. Taking another dogs pointed birds out in a whole different ball game. I hunted with a guy for 12 years and his 4 different shorthairs which did just that to differing degrees. The thing was, he always had the remote in his hands.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Unbroken - 03/13/15 08:14 PM

I've got one that points everything that flies. She has so much style on point, learned stop to flush on her own, and is a natural backer, but you never know what's going to rise. I don't blame the dog, my daughter ran her so many times in fields without game birds, and she has so much drive. As a puppy she even tried to chase down a airplane. She hunts field mice and skunks too.
I thought I could fix it by running her on lots of game birds, but two years later she still does it. Last time in the field she pointed 3 wild coveys, and stayed steady to the flush. But she also pointed field larks, cow birds, snipe, black birds, and a sparrow. If I can see she is pointing the wrong thing, I can call her off, but she will do it again the next chance she gets.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Unbroken - 03/16/15 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
If you stay around this sport long enough, you will find that good ones are hard to obtain and it takes alot of time and effort. My Daddy taught me a long time ago that it cost the same to feed a sorry dog as it does a good one. I have had a few cull dogs in my day and there is nothing more disappointing to me. Cut your losses and move on to the next one as soon as possible. Find them a new home.
right on
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum