Texas Hunting Forum

Quail Coalition hunt

Posted By: bill oxner

Quail Coalition hunt - 02/19/15 02:27 PM

The frost was still on the pumpkin when we started. Yeats went left and cracker took a wrong turn. A single got up in front of Yeats and hit the ground with one shot. We started hunting dead with the guns down and the remainder of the covey got up. That happened more than once yesterday. Here's Yeats;

We looked around and found Cracker pointing another covey. The covey flushed while she was still on point. Here's Cracker;

Cracker went on to point 3 more coveys before I picked her up. ET wanted to go left but Beckett went right and pointed. HE kept that up for 3 more coveys. Here's one of them with Mark shooting. He even pointed a snipe which led Scott and his brother Mark on a little snipe hunt, until ET told us the season was out.

That was 9 coveys in the south pasture. Yeats took over after that. I got hungry and ET was to the rescue. He brought 6 dozen oysters, shrimp, salad, pecan pie and I don't know what all. You can see for yourself;

The gunners were Mark and Scott. Here you go. The cowboy in the middle is ET1;

Posted By: RayB

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/19/15 03:13 PM

What a way to end the season. We old guys aren't supposed to eat oysters any more, at least that's what they say. Who gives a rats booty what they say any way banana

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/19/15 03:30 PM

The Quail Coalition burned and disked several areas of that ranch Saturday. We pointed 2 coveys in the burned area.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/19/15 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
What a way to end the season. We old guys aren't supposed to eat oysters any more, at least that's what they say. Who gives a rats booty what they say any way banana

Oysters are supposed to uh ahem, help out with the ladies.

Great pics and that's a pretty red setter, done see too many of them in the field.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/19/15 04:07 PM

beautiful dogs. I love to watch them work.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/19/15 04:13 PM

Great pics Bill.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/19/15 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: MS1454
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater

Oysters are supposed to uh ahem, help out with the ladies.

But when you're over 60 they are supposed to attack your immune system, of course Bill is only 29 so I don't know why I brought it up wink

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/19/15 04:51 PM

I've only seen two snipe pointed in all my hunting years. Beckett usually never flags and at times takes him awhile to tighten up. He didn't get all the way tight when the snipe flushed. Mark and Scott were really good shooters. It's a shame season was out.

The dogs were having a little problem with some of their locations yesterday, or maybe we were having a little trouble reading them. Beckett pointed into a bush on our last covey. Mark stepped up and the covey flushed just to the right of his boots. He acted like a child seeing his first ever flush. All of those birds will live to nest next spring. ET say two small birds. That's happened to me a couple of times over the years. I never know if it's an early hatch for this year, or a late hatch from last year. What's your guess on this?
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/19/15 06:17 PM

Looks like you guys had a great day
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/19/15 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: sallysue
Looks like you guys had a great day

x2
Posted By: coolie

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/19/15 11:44 PM

I like oysters. I like bird dogs. I like quail. I even like people. It's a win, win, win, win situation. grin

Just for you, Bill.
Posted By: Mud

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/19/15 11:57 PM

Those are beautiful dogs!
Posted By: kindall

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 12:04 AM

Last time I saw Beckett the pup couldn't have been more than 3 or 4 months old.
Looks like a good time, and excellent food.
Posted By: Payne

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 12:10 AM

Yeats looks like a happy camper.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 12:32 AM

Great pics.

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 12:44 AM

[quote=Payne]Yeats looks like a happy camper. [/quot

Notice the feathering on both of the red setter's tails. It goes behind them because they are pointing into the wind. They usually end up that way.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 12:53 AM

Excellent lunch spread! Quail hunting and eating seafood, couple of my favorite hobbies
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 12:58 AM

I tell you one thing, I never much cared for setters but I sure like those 2 pics. Great looking dogs and beautiful points. Still hard to beat the old Pointer. Good times up
Posted By: Payne

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
[quote=Payne]Yeats looks like a happy camper. [/quot

Notice the feathering on both of the red setter's tails. It goes behind them because they are pointing into the wind. They usually end up that way.

I'm highly disappointed with your quoting skills Bill.

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1
I tell you one thing, I never much cared for setters but I sure like those 2 pics. Great looking dogs and beautiful points. Still hard to beat the old Pointer. Good times up

I was the same way. I recommended against red setters when ET told me he was looking at them, because of their range. There was another goy on another forum who was asking hoe to get more range out of his red setter. Both of those pups hit the ground running, and never trailed, or tagged another dog. It's not unusual to find them on point or running at 300 yards.

Also, Payne you can stick it. I'm now on my ipad.
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 02:42 AM

Great pics Bill. You guys do lunch up right for sure.
Posted By: Wilsonandleo

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 02:45 AM

Hey Bill, I haven't been on a forum in years! Where did Yall hunt? I went out for a few hours today with my pups. Have they made it easier to share photos?

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 02:46 AM

Jason btw
Posted By: beatarmy

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 03:40 AM

That red setter is beautiful, but it seems like they would be hard to see in the field.

Someone needs to start discing all the damn winter wheat fields in the rolling plains.
Posted By: epp838

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 03:58 AM

Beautiful dog
Posted By: swmays

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 04:05 AM

Too much fun.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 12:11 PM

Great job on the feast. Done up right!!! Love the dog pictures.

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: beatarmy
That red setter is beautiful, but it seems like they would be hard to see in the field.

Someone needs to start discing all the damn winter wheat fields in the rolling plains.

We hunt a lot with a mutual friend named Chris. We're both sold on those two particular Red setters. I asked Chris if he would get one for his next bird dog, and his reply was, "yes if they were white." They are difficult to see in the field but that doesn't matter as much since the invent of the Garmin.
Posted By: coolie

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 03:08 PM

They make white ones, you know. grin
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 04:43 PM

Nice pics.
Posted By: TXPanhandler

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 11:34 PM

Y'all hunt in those muck boots? Sounds like blister city to me.

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/20/15 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: TXPanhandler
Y'all hunt in those muck boots? Sounds like blister city to me.

We really don't walk that much. Good observation.
Posted By: TXPanhandler

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/21/15 12:13 AM

Oh well that makes sense. They are really comfortable but not for a long pass.

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/22/15 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Wilsonandleo
Hey Bill, I haven't been on a forum in years! Where did Yall hunt? I went out for a few hours today with my pups. Have they made it easier to share photos?

It took me awhile to figure out which Jason. I know Leo, but Wilson is new to me. Pictures are pretty easy to post with Photobucket. Here's Leo;

Posted By: 1971snipe

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/22/15 09:23 PM

Good pics; thanks for sharing. Yes, snipe season ended on the 15th ... I still have a limit of 8 tenderizing in my fridge.

I like the thread and the table spread; and hope to eat a few fried oysters this week myself. Hope they don't hurt my immune system.

Re: Quail Coalition hunt - 02/22/15 10:21 PM

Wilson is my 10 month old up and comer. He's had thousands of wilds over him this year but doesn't have a clue what planted birds smell like yet. Now that wilds are done we'll be hitting a few trials and maybe even a few national trials. Looking at going to the performance, endurance or maybe both. Cheers and great to know you and Cracker are still tearing up birds my friend.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum