Texas Hunting Forum

It's better this year.

Posted By: therancher

It's better this year. - 02/05/15 05:59 AM

Than last year. 9 of us found 156 quail on a 2 day hunt. No telling how many we killed. No dogs to help retrieve. Same hunt last year we found 96.

So, with the rains we've been getting it looks like next year should approach 2005 status.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: It's better this year. - 02/05/15 06:06 AM

I haven't talked to our quail hunters, but I would imagine that they have had a field day. Our numbers didn't drop as much as it seemed like the reports from the rest of the state were showing. During deer season, was common to have 3 to 4 large coveys come into the feeders.

Glad it is getting better. Where were ya'll hunting?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: It's better this year. - 02/05/15 01:00 PM

Great news.
Posted By: therancher

Re: It's better this year. - 02/06/15 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
I haven't talked to our quail hunters, but I would imagine that they have had a field day. Our numbers didn't drop as much as it seemed like the reports from the rest of the state were showing. During deer season, was common to have 3 to 4 large coveys come into the feeders.

Glad it is getting better. Where were ya'll hunting?

Outside of Big Lake.
Posted By: txdogman

Re: It's better this year. - 02/06/15 09:01 PM

I'm still seeing nice coveys 12-15 birds in most of them. If the el-nino is where predicted, next fall possibly will equal 2005. I really hope so, I thought we'd never see it that way again here in the Rolling Plains.
Last week-end a group from Missouri moved 22 coveys in two days hunting. Rained all day Saturday, didn't hunt. Sunday and Monday were windy and cold but passable bird hunting conditions.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: It's better this year. - 02/07/15 10:53 PM

went out the other morning and we saw 50+ birds in about a hour.

quail are coming back
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: It's better this year. - 02/07/15 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
went out the other morning and we saw 50+ birds in about a hour.

quail are coming back

The Gulf coast never had the decline that some of you had. What area were you in this morning? Bobs or blues?
Posted By: 1971snipe

Re: It's better this year. - 02/10/15 02:26 AM

Yep, it's a good year for quail birds. Hope they keep coming back.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum