Texas Hunting Forum

Field Gun?

Posted By: elcasador

Field Gun? - 01/31/15 05:01 AM

What is your go to gun in the field? Just wondering cause I currently have single shot, pump and semiautos but no O/U and I'm looking to fix that soon.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Field Gun? - 01/31/15 05:18 AM

Easy, yildez. You can get them for about 400$ and they shoot and handle like a gun twice that amount.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Field Gun? - 01/31/15 12:46 PM

28 gauge Ruger Red Label O/U.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Field Gun? - 01/31/15 12:53 PM

20 gauge Beretta o/u with 26 inch barrels bored skeet and skeet.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Field Gun? - 01/31/15 01:14 PM

If your only going to have one, find a 16 gauge. Perfect gun for everything. IMHO
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Field Gun? - 01/31/15 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

X2, or my RRL 20 gauge. Depends on if I'm walking or truck hunting
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Field Gun? - 01/31/15 04:54 PM

Either a browning silver hunter semi auto 20 gauge or a weatherby Athena O/U in 20 gauge
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Field Gun? - 01/31/15 05:54 PM

12 gauge VersaMax
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Field Gun? - 01/31/15 06:50 PM

Like Bill, I go to a Beretta 20 ga. Except mine has 28 inch barrels.
Posted By: beatarmy

Re: Field Gun? - 01/31/15 07:01 PM

20 ga ugartechea grade I side by side, double trigger, strainght stock, 28" bbl choked IC/mod.

I have a beretta O/U too but I prefer sxs for birds that flush from the ground.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Field Gun? - 01/31/15 08:23 PM

No way I could take something like a berreta in thorns and get scratched up

Re: Field Gun? - 01/31/15 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: MS1454

Just gives them character (Thank God for spell check)

Re: Field Gun? - 02/01/15 05:52 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. So far I have handled the beretta silver pigeon, Browning citori & cenergy, ruger red label (early 90s model), and a very sweet Sabatti Jaguar. Out of all those the jaguar shouldered the best but I don't know much about that manufacturer and I haven't talked to my smith about parts availability. Next I would have to say beretta and ruger and out of the brownings the cenergy them citori. This is only me handling the gun haven't got a chance to shoot any but i am going to shoot the ruger tomorrow. Does anyone know anything about Sabatti? That gun really felt as if it was custom made for me.

Re: Field Gun? - 02/01/15 01:04 PM

If it fits, stop looking. It's an Italian made shotgun so I would think parts would be readily available, but do let us know. Looked it up on line, good looking shotguns
http://www.sabatti.com/storia.php?lang=EN
Posted By: LReichardt

Re: Field Gun? - 02/01/15 02:02 PM

I really like my Winchester 101, 12 GA, 28" barrels, great O/U for right at 1k. Has synthetic wood so handled the duck blind and field work just fine. Shoots steel and all the newer loads without issue while looking good on bird hunts. Cleans up in just a few minutes as well.
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Field Gun? - 02/01/15 04:21 PM

20 Gauge Merkel SXS...
Posted By: epp838

Re: Field Gun? - 02/01/15 06:01 PM

I'm a big fan of cynergy, I don't have one but one love to get one
Posted By: txdogman

Re: Field Gun? - 02/01/15 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
If it fits, stop looking. It's an Italian made shotgun so I would think parts would be readily available, but do let us know. Looked it up on line, good looking shotguns
http://www.sabatti.com/storia.php?lang=EN

If the shoe fits , wear it. Shotguns and birddogs are the same way. A dog will never amount to anything staying in the kennel, a shotgun staying in the cabinet might a well be a pipe wrench.Take 'em hunting, they're where they should be. Shotguns manufacturers don't make the shotgun, the shooters familiarity with it does. IMO The best shotgun ever, was a Springfield SxS 20 gauge that cost $46.00 in the fifties and I shoot zillions of birds with it because I used it.
Posted By: slow944

Re: Field Gun? - 02/01/15 09:34 PM

I have a Lanber Model 2098, it's a Spanish O/U. Great shooting gun and it fits me perfectly. I also have a Franchi Alcione 20ga that is a blast (pun intended) to shoot. When you find the right O/U you'll know because it will feel right.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Field Gun? - 02/01/15 10:31 PM

My favorite all time back when I bird hunted a lot was Remington 1100 Special field 20 Ga. Thief got it. Looked like this:

Posted By: arandy

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 01:15 AM

That 1100 20 straight stock was one of the best handling shotguns ever produced by anybody. A real sweetheart of a bird gun but the one I had would jam now and then so I did not keep it too long. Regretted getting rid of it for years until I bought an A400 Beretta 20. Real close to the 1100SF for handling and if the barrel was as short as the 1100 was, probably equal in that respect. The A400 is probably a pound lighter than the 1100 was plus it shoots dirty and recoil is not felt. I have a Beretta 686 White Onyx 20ga that has not been shot since I got the A400. I'd sell the 686 if it was not for some places require using breech guns.
Posted By: TX_Birddog1L

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 03:55 AM

Old L.C. Smith 16 GA SXS Field Grade, 26" barrels, choked IC/M, points like a dream, very light, easy to carry all day, great for quail, pheasant, dove, you name it...only thing I would consider doing is opening up the barrels to Skeet/IC for first shots on a covey rises...

Randal
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 03:58 AM

I suggest you look at a 50's or 60's Ithaca 37 in 20 or 16 gauge, light, and point oh so naturally.
Posted By: cattle69

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 06:00 AM

Took the Ithaca 37 16 gauge out today, nice and light and a great shooter.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 12:03 PM

I have a few but I have my favorites also.
Berretta Silver Pigeon II 12 ga.
Ithaca Model 37 12 ga.
Remington 1100 Special Field 20 ga.
Winchester 101 Pigeon grade XTR Featherweight 20 ga.
SKB Ithaca 200-E Featherweight 20 ga.

The Ithaca with the 25 inch barrels chambered for skeet/skeet is my favorite for quail. The 101 is a great all around shotgun. The little 1100 is a great shotgun but I'm just not into semi autos, to me a field gun has to have 2 barrels. I haven't shot or even assembled the Berretta yet.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 02:04 PM

Browning citori upland special 24" 20ga
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 02:18 PM

Since August of 1969, a Remington 870, with 2 boxes of shells it was less than a $100 out the door at KMart. I have 2 others that are loaners, but the only one I carry is the 870.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: MS1454

Just gives them character (Thank God for spell check)

If you had a nice Onyx, you'd use it, thorns or not.

I draw the line with mud though.
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 06:54 PM

I like my Browning Citoris. The favorites are 16ga 525 and Gran Lightning, 20ga Gran Lightning and Benelli M2 20ga 24" barrel
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 08:47 PM

beretta 20 ga o/u or browning o/u 20 ga
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
20 gauge Beretta o/u with 26 inch barrels bored skeet and skeet.
my favorite

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 09:06 PM

Deadly serious bird hunter, with limited funds. - 12/16 gauge model 12 or 870 and wore out boots / hunting vest ( English pointer - male )

New to the Sport yuppy - Berreta, Browning OU and a new suv / kawasaki mule, new hunting apparel ( Brittany or GSP, Visula- male )

Past 65 years of age, retired from the first two examples, - Italian SxS or equivalent, 28 gauge and will be looking for their glasses and where did I put my lifetime license ( English Setter - female )
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 09:36 PM

You guys with the pumps and autos would have a tough time hunting where I hunt now days. We have to pick up our hulls. I haven't dropped a hull in 25 years.

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 10:42 PM

Txdogman, probably an Ithaca Md 37 .
BTW for you guys talking like Ithaca Gun is out of business: http://www.ithacagun.com/featherlight.php
Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 10:43 PM

Dogman, Can you be serious and still own a nice gun and boots that don't leak? I'm guessing you have hunted with a bunch of guys from Dallas.

Personally, I usually only hunt with o/u unless I am duck hunting. I like the way they feel. My go to this season has been a Rizzini 20ga with 29" barrels and an english stock. Very light and fast.

I also have a 16ga that I love but it's a little heavier.

almost forgot my 2 gsp's and a pointer.

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 11:01 PM

You guys with the pumps and autos would have a tough time hunting where I hunt now days. We have to pick up our hulls. I haven't dropped a hull in 25 years.

Agree

This is why I moved to an over/under

Quail hunting really is a gentlemans sport and one avenue where you will see nice guns/ boots/ dogs/vehicles

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Agree

Quail hunting really is a gentlemans sport and one avenue where you will see nice guns/ boots/ dogs/vehicles

Good thing I'm not a quail hunter then-even though I sure would like to be one someday. Meanwhile, I'll keep practicing on my east TX "woods quail". smile

Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Field Gun? - 02/02/15 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Pointer
Like Bill, I go to a Beretta 20 ga. Except mine has 28 inch barrels.

Mine as well.

Re: Field Gun? - 02/03/15 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Agree

Good thing I'm not a quail hunter then-even though I sure would like to be one someday. Meanwhile, I'll keep practicing on my east TX "woods quail". smile

Didn't say it was right or wrong just stating facts

They shoo O/U's and sxs so they don't have to chase hulls

I love my browning auto but it flings hulls 10' so I switched back to the O/U

Re: Field Gun? - 02/03/15 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: rowdydog1
Dogman, Can you be serious and still own a nice gun and boots that don't leak? I'm guessing you have hunted with a bunch of guys from Dallas.

Personally, I usually only hunt with o/u unless I am duck hunting. I like the way they feel. My go to this season has been a Rizzini 20ga with 29" barrels and an english stock. Very light and fast.

Certainly you can. That's what I was trying to say. Go for it. I've done it all. Shot all makes & models of shotguns. Shot boo-coos of wild birds, tame birds, some exotic birds. Trained all sorts of breeds, cross breeds of dogs, had some really good ones, plus some not so good. I'm what I would call a serious bird hunter. I shoot a Parker 16 gauge VH vintage 1905, hunt behind trail hounds at the present because of the bird shortage the last 4 years but when I get another birddog it'll be an English Pointer ( female ) as I sell those male dogs to the guys from Dallas that you're speaking of. I wasn't trying to start a debate over whats the best. Whatever is your preference do it. I should have listened to the still small voice and kept my mouth shut.
PS Bill O. I pick up my hulls and suggest all of my hunters do the same, if they don't then I pick 'em up for them. All it takes is to do this a couple times and they'll start picking up their own.
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Field Gun? - 02/03/15 01:49 AM

I have a 12ga beretta silver pigeon I with 28" barrels I love. I also LOVE my old A5 and don't mind picking up the hulls on the occasions I take it out.

Posted By: aerangis

Re: Field Gun? - 02/03/15 02:10 AM

I hunt swamps with an auto. I pick up my hulls. Not because I have to, but because I want to.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Field Gun? - 02/03/15 03:02 AM

Same as beat army on the ugartechea. 5 3/4 pounds
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Field Gun? - 02/03/15 03:40 AM

I've picked up a few thousand hulls in 25+ years--but could care less if anybody else does. Great guns are great to the person owning them.

Re: Field Gun? - 02/03/15 02:08 PM

I was just joshing you txtrophy. I do admire the "gentleman's" aspect of all upland hunting. One of the great things about it.
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: Field Gun? - 02/03/15 05:26 PM

Ruger Red Label 12 gauge, Wife shoots Benelli Córdoba in a 20 gauge, my 10 yr old shoots a 11-87, 20 gauge youth model and they all kill birds.

Re: Field Gun? - 02/03/15 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Catch Dog
Ruger Red Label 12 gauge, Wife shoots Benelli Córdoba in a 20 gauge, my 10 yr old shoots a 11-87, 20 gauge youth model and they all kill birds.

There you are! You forgot to mention the Chippewa Boots, GSP & that awesome lil Waterybutts Springer Spaniel. wink

Re: Field Gun? - 02/03/15 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: txdogman
Originally Posted By: rowdydog1

Certainly you can. That's what I was trying to say. Go for it. I've done it all. Shot all makes & models of shotguns. Shot boo-coos of wild birds, tame birds, some exotic birds. Trained all sorts of breeds, cross breeds of dogs, had some really good ones, plus some not so good. I'm what I would call a serious bird hunter. I shoot a Parker 16 gauge VH vintage 1905, hunt behind trail hounds at the present because of the bird shortage the last 4 years but when I get another birddog it'll be an English Pointer ( female ) as I sell those male dogs to the guys from Dallas that you're speaking of. I wasn't trying to start a debate over whats the best. Whatever is your preference do it. I should have listened to the still small voice and kept my mouth shut.
PS Bill O. I pick up my hulls and suggest all of my hunters do the same, if they don't then I pick 'em up for them. All it takes is to do this a couple times and they'll start picking up their own.

I was just messing with. I prefer females but yet somehow I've got 2 males and a female.

Are you hunting birds behind your hounds? How heavy is that Parker?
Posted By: blanked

Re: Field Gun? - 02/04/15 01:01 AM

I dont see how anyone can take a gun off the rack, shoulder it a few times and say it fits. You dont know until you check the POI. Even then how many off the shelf guns made for an average shooter actually fit you

Re: Field Gun? - 02/04/15 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: blanked
I dont see how anyone can take a gun off the rack, shoulder it a few times and say it fits. You dont know until you check the POI. Even then how many off the shelf guns made for an average shooter actually fit you

Its hard to find one that actually fits you right especially since most places don't have an on sight shooting range. The cast on the O/U that I liked best put my eye right over the rib without turning my head, but it wasn't a run of the mill shotgun. So finding a gun that fits right is a huge confidence boost and shouldn't be overlooked.

Re: Field Gun? - 02/04/15 03:48 AM

You can have the stock bent on guns to fit you. They use hot oil to soften the wood and the bend it.

Re: Field Gun? - 02/04/15 03:53 PM

It may just be me, as an long time hunter-but I think I can pick any gun from behind the academy counter- and limit if your in birds. I think for a average shooter--it's more about practice.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Field Gun? - 02/04/15 06:38 PM

Dove and pheasant - usually a Beretta White Wing in 20 ga.
Quail - usually a Beretta Silver Pigeon in 28 ga.

but I also shoot a .410 on dove and the 28 ga. on pheasant at times.

Re: Field Gun? - 02/04/15 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Huntmaster
It may just be me, as an long time hunter-but I think I can pick any gun from behind the academy counter- and limit if your in birds. I think for a average shooter--it's more about practice.

its about fit.

some people have short arms, some long. everyone is built different

if you want to get really proficient at wingshooting you have to get a gun that fits.

my browning auto, for instance....has too long a LOP. I'm gonna have to get it shortened an inch. can I kill birds with it, sure, but not like I could my 870 wingmaster with a shorter LOP.

Re: Field Gun? - 02/04/15 07:14 PM

I think it's overblown for the average guy. I've seen guys with broken stock 1100's that could kill a quail faster than most guys could get their gun up.
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Field Gun? - 02/05/15 05:22 AM

My reliable 1958 A5 12 Gauge Humpback:

Knocked these ruffies down pretty good:

Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Field Gun? - 02/05/15 05:35 AM

Not an O/U, but I have a L.C. Smith SxS 20 ga that belonged to my grandfather. Back in '75 I took it to a smith and had him trim 2" off the barrel to make it handle easier in brush and to give me two open cylinders. Gun will still lock tight on a cigarette paper and hard to find a trimmer gun.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Field Gun? - 02/05/15 06:54 AM

Franchi Instinct L o/u 20 gauge
Posted By: Reata

Re: Field Gun? - 02/12/15 04:23 PM

16 Gauge Parker
Posted By: coolie

Re: Field Gun? - 02/12/15 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1
My favorite all time back when I bird hunted a lot was Remington 1100 Special field 20 Ga. Thief got it. Looked like this:

I used to have one. I like the English stock. I had instant seller's remorse.

Re: Field Gun? - 02/12/15 06:16 PM

An aristocrat! grin
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Field Gun? - 02/15/15 07:14 PM

New Browning A-5.

Re: Field Gun? - 02/16/15 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: coolie

An aristocrat! grin

Say what? Ruger? Nah....
It sure handles like a dream for me though. smile
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Field Gun? - 02/16/15 01:49 PM

I used to have different guns for different things, until I started with the M2 benelli. Other than a hunt two a year with the old 1100 (my first shotgun), I use the m2 for everything from clays to dove to ducks to cranes to turkey and now soon Coyotes.

Re: Field Gun? - 02/16/15 02:26 PM

An aristocrat! grin

Say what? Ruger? Nah....

Try to find one now and you will change your mind laugh
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Field Gun? - 02/16/15 07:04 PM

#1, You want a gun that fits you, at least close to fitting. Consider your preference on weight and balance and what you shoot well with in that regard.

#2, Must be able handle steel shot. Like it or not that is the future. Many public areas including the one I hunted recently requires non tox for all birds. Some states require it for all public areas and at least a couple already require it for all small game. This will rule out a lot of older shotguns with fixed chokes or steel not strong enough. And unless you reload exclusively, it rules out the 16ga. There is no commercial #7 steel field loads out there that I know of.

After that, it is just what sings to you when you pick it up. And if you find a gun your like that does not fit the above requirements, most gunsmiths can fix that.

Re: Field Gun? - 02/16/15 09:02 PM

I own a new Browning Citori 16 Gauge (choke tubes). I'm hoping they are on the way back. I love that round.
Browning also came out with two new versions of the Citori 16 gauge as Shot Show Specials

Re: Field Gun? - 02/17/15 03:28 AM

An aristocrat! grin

Say what? Ruger? Nah....

Try to find one now and you will change your mind laugh

28 gauge is the reason for the aristocrat comment. grin I have a Red Label 20 for quail. I use a Benelli Montefeltro when I really don't want to shoot quail. I can not shoot them many times in a row. I tell myself to shoot, but I just watch them fly away.

Re: Field Gun? - 02/17/15 02:20 PM

I hunt woodcock. Close-in shots in cover. The little 28 is perfect. I had never hunted much with a shotgun until I got my pup and started hunting the woodcock 3 years ago. I had bought the little Ruger NIB many years ago at a gun show. I got lucky because it fits me perfectly. Surprisingly, I do rather well with it-but if you ask me how I couldn't tell you. confused2

If I ever hunt any other upland game I will be hard-pressed not to use that little gun.
Posted By: GA DOG 2

Re: Field Gun? - 02/17/15 08:03 PM

I've been looking around the gun shows near me in Ga.for a Ruger Red Label 20ga. in stainless with 26 inch barrels. Just wondering if anybody's seen one lately, they seem to have disappeared here in GA.

Re: Field Gun? - 02/17/15 08:25 PM

here ya go......

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=467905148

Re: Field Gun? - 02/18/15 07:24 PM

I hunt woodcock. Close-in shots in cover. The little 28 is perfect. I had never hunted much with a shotgun until I got my pup and started hunting the woodcock 3 years ago. I had bought the little Ruger NIB many years ago at a gun show. I got lucky because it fits me perfectly. Surprisingly, I do rather well with it-but if you ask me how I couldn't tell you. confused2

If I ever hunt any other upland game I will be hard-pressed not to use that little gun.

You did get a little lucky. Got a great gun that fits YOU. That makes all the difference. Gun fit.
I love my 28 and use it for dove, quail and pheasant. It's one of my favorite loads.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum