Texas Hunting Forum

Best Things for a new pup

Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Best Things for a new pup - 01/30/15 01:54 AM

Alright y'all, I warned you that I was gonna have some questions so here we go. As a lot of yall know I have a new GSP pup that is 11 weeks currently. So far this group has been so helpful, be it through Pm's or on here so thank you for that. Besides just letting pup be a pup, what are some things I can be doing while he is young to set him up for success? We spend about 5 mins a day doing basic obedience, and I'm really trying to be careful that I am not pushing him much at all. We end on a good note and then its more playing. I know that sounds like a basic question but I want to set him up for success and could really use some input and some things to work towards.
Posted By: kb3024

Re: Best Things for a new pup - 01/30/15 03:15 AM

Let him be a pup for now. #1 RULE The family has to understand you can never say 'NO' to your pup. Keep him socialized with people and other dogs. Enjoy the laughs you get at him now because you will probably be finding yourself under a overpass with a spotlight and fish net trying to catch pigeons in another month and he would be laughing at you.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Best Things for a new pup - 01/30/15 02:54 PM

Tie him out for short periods.

Posted By: beatarmy

Re: Best Things for a new pup - 01/31/15 07:51 PM

read "gun dog" by richard wolters and do what it says...he encourages starting training early. As a pup a dog will learn how to learn.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum