Texas Hunting Forum

Nebraska Panhandle Pheasant

Posted By: Pittstate

Nebraska Panhandle Pheasant - 01/25/15 05:03 PM

Just FYI. We had a great year this year with lots of birds. Went yesterday with a buddy and got our limit in very short order. If we have a half decent Spring with not so much hail and freezes, the numbers will be epic next year. Lots and lots of public land up here that produced lots of limits this year. Could be better next year.

Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Nebraska Panhandle Pheasant - 01/25/15 11:27 PM

Nice job Pittstate!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Nebraska Panhandle Pheasant - 01/25/15 11:54 PM

You shot a jackrabbit ?

Re: Nebraska Panhandle Pheasant - 01/27/15 01:44 AM

Bill, I am wanting to try doing a Gumbo with Jack Rabbit and deer sausage. And, I will not apologize for harvesting an animal in season that I intend on consuming.
Posted By: trapperben

Re: Nebraska Panhandle Pheasant - 01/27/15 05:14 AM

I would like to know how the jack turns out. I have thought about trying to make chili out of one but always had better meat. It might make some good gumbo.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Nebraska Panhandle Pheasant - 01/27/15 01:39 PM

Glad you had a good season. I thought it looked like the available WIA was cut in half from last year.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Nebraska Panhandle Pheasant - 01/27/15 02:18 PM

[quote=Pittstate]Bill, I am wanting to try doing a Gumbo with Jack Rabbit and deer sausage. And, I will not apologize for harvesting an animal in season that I intend on consuming. [/quote) full grown jacks are known to be wormy, more protein I guess

Re: Nebraska Panhandle Pheasant - 01/27/15 05:52 PM

Chewy protein....the best kind
Posted By: Finfeathernfurr

Re: Nebraska Panhandle Pheasant - 01/29/15 04:19 AM

Just check them for worms. love me some bunny but never tried jack's I to will be curious how it turns out. Took out a cotton on my quail hunt this morning. Going to make some amazing chicken fried.
Posted By: Finfeathernfurr

Re: Nebraska Panhandle Pheasant - 01/29/15 04:24 AM

Growing up I thought a good tenderized cotton tail was better than a beef chicken fry. Pour on some gravy or steak sauce and it's on lol. Still never seen any one try jack rabbit. My grandpa said during training for ww11 a guy made a stew out of one and it turned out good.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum