Texas Hunting Forum

Willacy County Hunt

Posted By: danceswithquail

Willacy County Hunt - 01/22/15 03:37 AM

Like a couple of years ago, if you have any long lost cousins with land in Willacy, Duval, Kleberg counties, time to call in a favor and get down there. It's incredible how many birds are down there. We averaged 9 coveys an hour, would hunt a couple of hours in the morning and then finish out the limits in an hour in the afternoon. In the heavy fog on Monday, each of my teenage sons limited in 90 mins (found 17 coveys) and we called it a day and a trip. Scenting conditions were phenomenal, tons of moisture in the ground. Lots of young birds, lots of 20+ bird coveys. Will get a video done over the next couple of days, but throwing some pics up for now

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/22/15 03:39 AM

Few more. Last pic is one of the two "mule driveby points" we got where had my little female airing out in front of mule with me and she lunged out and basically hit the ground pointing. Videoed another one where I backed up to where she started to lunge and she two three steps from the mule and pointed. Think my boys are ruined for life. Really epic hunt.

Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/22/15 04:21 AM

looks like good birds
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/22/15 01:51 PM

WOW! WOW! Great pictures.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/22/15 01:57 PM

Even if things change over the years, your boys will always remember that hunt.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/22/15 02:19 PM

Awesome. Great pictures.

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/22/15 02:44 PM

I emailed this link to some bird dog friends. Some people look then delete. You do great videos. When do you expect to get them up ?
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/22/15 03:19 PM

I told some people yesterday, "If someone hunts quail for the first time on a year like this, It could spoil them for life." IT would be like an eight or nine year old taking a record book buck.

This year is "The good ol' days" revisited!

How thankful we are for it!

BTW: Awesome pics
Posted By: blanked

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/22/15 06:22 PM

Dances. How many different leases do you hunt in a season typically

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/22/15 07:53 PM

Blanked - in a decent year, I try to get 9 to 10 hunting days in a season, probably five different leases/locations. Bill - day job getting in the way but will try and get something up by Saturday...have 45 video clips and 300 still shots to sort through on this one as I was behind the camera more than behind a gun on this trip other than a couple of covey rises where I shot steve mcqueen style with camera in left hand and gun in right (batted 50% on that).
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/22/15 08:39 PM

Great hunt, great pictures. Thanks
Posted By: Chet

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/23/15 12:03 AM

What a hunt, and shooting from the hip. You da man..............
Posted By: stxhunter

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/23/15 12:22 AM

Looks like a good time! I was at the family ranch down in Duval Co over Christmas and busted several coveys. Guess the rain hit at just the right time!
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/23/15 12:31 AM

Very nice!

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/24/15 02:57 PM

Video done. Little frustrated that the 10+ covey rises I shot with my 60fps camera was botched because I left it in manual mode to do the sunset pic the evening before, but ended up with a lot of covey rise pics and videos anyway. If you are wondering if I cant afford to buy my son a pair of hunting boots, he walked the sole off a pair of 2 year old brownings the first morning and had to shift to tennis shoes. He also scraped up his hands and stomach badly the night before we left riding a longboard down a two story parking garage ramp, therefore the boxer looking hand wraps in the pics. I slo moed some of the covey rise on the 25+ bird rises. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/sjgX4_g6nTg
Posted By: Chet

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/24/15 05:23 PM

Really good work on the covey rises, not sure I've ever seen that many clear shots of birds in flight. Nice job.

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/24/15 06:17 PM

Great video.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/24/15 07:30 PM

Fantastic! Bravo!

That's the way it is done folks. DwQ, congrats on a great hunt with your boys.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Willacy County Hunt - 01/25/15 01:47 AM

Now this picture is what it's all about folks! Awesome pic! If that don't light your fire your wood's wet.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum