Texas Hunting Forum

Pheasant Hunt Central Kansas

Posted By: danceswithquail

Pheasant Hunt Central Kansas - 11/26/14 01:53 AM

Had a real nice hunt in central Kansas, despite 50 mph winds that hit at 10:30 on Sunday morning. 8 hunters, 2 birds short of limiting on Saturday but with 2 or 3 bonus quail. Tough day Sunday, then 5 pheasants and 4 quail Monday morning with 4 hunters. CRP was as thick as I can remember, had to sprint to birds if you didnt absolutely stone them as they would absolutely vanish. Walking was tough, so carried my big camera for half a day to get some great pics, then wimped out and carried my small digital after that. Talking to folks in different parts of the state, seems to be real spotty. In some of the traditionally good areas, lots of CRP fields are now corn fields as much bigger money, hope it doesnt hurt us long term. Enjoy - first one is for you Chet, kicked the rooster out of a isolated clump with my boot in front of that point.

Posted By: Chet

Re: Pheasant Hunt Central Kansas - 11/26/14 03:56 AM

Being a Ks. boy the scenery looks great. CRP does look thick, and the first pic looks like you weren't too far from the Red/Gyp hill country. Anywhere near Pratt? Looks like a great trip.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Pheasant Hunt Central Kansas - 11/26/14 07:02 PM

Great pics.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Pheasant Hunt Central Kansas - 11/27/14 07:43 AM

Nice Pics...looks like a good time was had by all...including the dogs!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Pheasant Hunt Central Kansas - 11/27/14 12:54 PM

Pratt area? central to east had rain
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Pheasant Hunt Central Kansas - 11/27/14 04:14 PM

NW of Pratt a ways. If I were to go back from what I heard, thinking Pawnee or southern Stafford county would be where I would probably focus as far as optimal rain. Gotta find out if CRP around there was cut the past two years or not (not is better of course) so it would have been nice and thick this nesting season
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Pheasant Hunt Central Kansas - 11/28/14 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Chet
Being a Ks. boy the scenery looks great. CRP does look thick, and the first pic looks like you weren't too far from the Red/Gyp hill country. Anywhere near Pratt? Looks like a great trip.
I grew up N.W. of Dodge City, went high school in Cimarron
Posted By: Chet

Re: Pheasant Hunt Central Kansas - 11/28/14 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
Originally Posted By: Chet
I grew up N.W. of Dodge City, went high school in Cimarron

NW of Dodge, don't know whether to say Rock Chalk or Go Cats grin
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Pheasant Hunt Central Kansas - 11/29/14 02:58 PM

Can't wait to get on some OK pheasants later in December
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum