Texas Hunting Forum

Goat weed?

Posted By: KWood_TSU

Goat weed? - 08/10/18 04:40 PM

Anyone have pics of what that stuff looks like when it's ready to be shredded for doves.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Goat weed? - 08/10/18 05:02 PM

No sorry. Depends, most of the time you are gonna shred it for the 2nd season. Typically its seeding out on its own in October. It’s actually called croton, with woolly croton being the most common.

When your hunting the last 2 weeks of September start paying attention to it, and you’ll know when it’s starting to drop seeds.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Goat weed? - 08/10/18 05:07 PM

Looks like a waxy like leaf until it seeds. That is October up here so doesn't help until then. Size depends on rain. Google Croton Weed for images or here you go.

https://goo.gl/images/ptEBLL

Re: Goat weed? - 08/10/18 07:23 PM

I've got plenty of goat weed, just wondering when it's "ready" to be sprayed and shredded to be hunted.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Goat weed? - 08/15/18 04:45 AM

it will make you itch like a SOB when you shred it!!!!!!
Posted By: fin&feather

Re: Goat weed? - 08/15/18 02:41 PM

Make sure it has a seed head on it then just shred it couple weeks before the season. I would not spray it unless you do not want it coming back the next season. Once you shred it the seed head will dry up and dove will find it.
just my .02
Posted By: Garwoodie

Re: Goat weed? - 08/16/18 10:34 PM

Don't have to shred it if it has lots of openings and trails through it, like when cattle are on the property.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Goat weed? - 08/17/18 12:09 AM

If I had a goat weed pasture I'd probably shred half of it mid September then the rest a few weeks later. Let them get their fill of grain hard to compete with it anyways. Few rains and it's soured and you'll have fresh groceries.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Goat weed? - 08/17/18 01:57 AM

You don’t have to do anything to it; unless it’s so thick they can’t land, which is rare.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Goat weed? - 08/17/18 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Huntmaster
You don’t have to do anything to it; unless it’s so thick they can’t land, which is rare.

Agree unless it might encourage them to hit it at a specific time. Many times right after front in October, I have scared up 100 birds in a small amount of it. They don't stick around long though.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Goat weed? - 08/17/18 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Huntmaster

You have to shred goat weed or wait till a frost.

Re: Goat weed? - 08/17/18 02:52 PM

Here's the patch, somewhere around .5 acre.

Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Goat weed? - 08/17/18 06:11 PM

I don't know about East TX, but I've had some great hunts even early season on Central TX when I was young buck without shredding it. I do remember the Duck Commander klan hunting a patch in LA in an episode and they seemed to do well, but that was semi-Hollywood so who knows.

A few years ago in North TX I was on a lease adjacent to some folks that shredded a big patch right before the opener. Dove were on it like stank on chit. We were able to catch a lot coming and going. So I'd have to say shredding does work for early season... at least in this case.

Without being shredded in North TX, over the last few years they have been thick in it in December and January in an area I duck hunt. So it'll probably take time like others have said if you don't.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum