Texas Hunting Forum

Duck Season 2017-2018: 1st Split (my pictures from the season)...

Posted By: Fooshman

Duck Season 2017-2018: 1st Split (my pictures from the season)... - 08/04/18 08:17 AM

Went into this season assuming it was going to be my oldest dog Paxton's last season. She turned 14 in late November. She has been semi-retired the last couple of seasons. With her body failing, being half blind and half deaf but still having the desire, she has been regulated to fair weather hunts and easy retrieves. Whipple would pick up any and all slack with pleasure and without any hesitation.

What I didn't expect was that this was going to be my youngest dog Whipple's last season. She turned 7 in late November. She has been taking over most of the duties since Paxton has been slowing down. She was rushed into emergency surgery in the wee hours of May 22nd. She passed away during recovery later that day.

Paxton has a lot of drive but Whipple would turn the dial up to 10 and then proceed to twist it off. She was a quick study and picked up on a lot of things naturally. She had that "it" factor. The only thing holding her back, if anything, was me. She was a firecracker in the field and cuddlebug around the house. She was just a joy to be around. We had a lot of fun together.

If I had known what I know now, I would have spent more time in the field letting Whipple have more time doing what she loved. I thought we would have a lot more time together.

They say the blows you don't see coming hurt the worst. I'm a believer.

Ladies and Gentlemen, hug your pups.

Re: Duck Season 2017-2018: 1st Split (my pictures from the season)... - 08/04/18 08:17 AM

This season was slow with the ponds completely empty or on the verge and a lack of birds. The suck mud really put a damper on how and where we could hunt. Didn't go on any early season teal hunts. Never put on a pair of waders. Used a dwadr all season long. Paxton didn't go on a hunt all season due to the mud. Whipple was all in.

11-13-17

The sunrise...

The decoys...

Whipple heading out for a bird...

Whipple with the bird...

Pond is a bit low...

Whipple coming to see me...

Whipple waiting for some action...

Re: Duck Season 2017-2018: 1st Split (my pictures from the season)... - 08/04/18 08:17 AM

Whipple acting a fool...

Never put on waders this season. Had to use the dwadr...

The bird...

More pics of ponds in need...

Whipple posing with some posts that are usually in the water...

Something is happening here...

Re: Duck Season 2017-2018: 1st Split (my pictures from the season)... - 08/05/18 08:06 AM

11-15-17

Whipple doing work...

Re: Duck Season 2017-2018: 1st Split (my pictures from the season)... - 08/05/18 08:06 AM

The birds...

Whipple waiting in the weeds...

The decoys...

A little topwater action afterwards...

Paxton with some birds back at the house...

Re: Duck Season 2017-2018: 1st Split (my pictures from the season)... - 08/05/18 08:10 AM

11-17-17

Whipple bringing a bird back...

The bird...

The mojo...

Whipple with some more retrieves...

Re: Duck Season 2017-2018: 1st Split (my pictures from the season)... - 08/05/18 08:10 AM

The decoys...

Whipple waiting in the weeds...

Whipple got close when nothing was flying...

Snipe...

The birds...

Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Duck Season 2017-2018: 1st Split (my pictures from the season)... - 08/05/18 10:29 PM

None of your pictures are loading for me, but I’ve seen pictures of both your dogs in action before. Sorry for your loss.

Re: Duck Season 2017-2018: 1st Split (my pictures from the season)... - 08/06/18 07:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
None of your pictures are loading for me, but I’ve seen pictures of both your dogs in action before. Sorry for your loss.

Seems to be/have been some server issues.

Thanks man.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Duck Season 2017-2018: 1st Split (my pictures from the season)... - 08/07/18 12:57 AM

They’re showing up now. Good pics, as always.

If you don’t mind me asking, what happened to Whipple?

Re: Duck Season 2017-2018: 1st Split (my pictures from the season)... - 08/07/18 06:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
They’re showing up now. Good pics, as always.

If you don’t mind me asking, what happened to Whipple?

Thanks.

There is a thread in the gun dog section about it.

Re: Duck Season 2017-2018: 1st Split (my pictures from the season)... - 08/07/18 06:17 AM

11-20-17

The decoys...

Whipple waiting for some action...

These dudes flew over...

Whipple hoping for some birds...

She wasn't too pleased with the lack of birds...

But she's okay...

This dude flew over...

Zipper broke...

Some pond work...

No birds but plenty of turtle shells...

Re: Duck Season 2017-2018: 1st Split (my pictures from the season)... - 08/07/18 06:27 AM

11-22-17

The decoys...

Whipple waiting for birds...

Blackbirds...

Whipple eyeballing some birds...

Whipple doing work...

Re: Duck Season 2017-2018: 1st Split (my pictures from the season)... - 08/07/18 06:27 AM

Whipple waiting for more...

Pelicans...

Creepers...

Whipple waiting for permission to carry a bird to the truck...

The birds...

Whipple waiting to get in the truck after taking her vest off...

Re: Duck Season 2017-2018: 1st Split (my pictures from the season)... - 08/07/18 06:28 AM

Rest in peace, Little Whipple.

We love you very much and miss you everyday.

Here's to endless retrieves.

Water Walker's Dark Horse (Whipple)
11/21/2010 - 5/22/2018
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum