Texas Hunting Forum

I'd like some shock collar pointers

Posted By: Mr Redneck

I'd like some shock collar pointers - 08/03/18 12:10 AM

I never used one before, are there any does or don'ts that I should know ??
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: I'd like some shock collar pointers - 08/03/18 12:15 AM

Don’t shock a dog until he knows the command and break him in easy when you introduce a shock to reinforce a command. I start my dogs on the collar once they know what HERE means. I introduce the collar while they’re still on the check cord and hit them with it when I command HERE while pulling them to me with the cord. You don’t want to hurt a dog with the collar and use the least amount of burn to get his attention that you can. I’ll let them run around with it and stop turning it up when you see a reaction, just a head turn. That’s your setting for that dog. Turn it up as is necessary. Once a dog knows the collar and the command I only tell them once and then they feel the collar if they don’t comply.

Re: I'd like some shock collar pointers - 08/03/18 12:29 AM

My lab minds pretty good until she gets out about 50' from me and she goes deaf and doesn't come back till she gets ready,
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: I'd like some shock collar pointers - 08/03/18 12:31 AM

When using it, make sure you girlfriend has a safe word or phrase.

Re: I'd like some shock collar pointers - 08/03/18 12:32 AM

she is 7 months old and has spent 2 months in obedience school
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: I'd like some shock collar pointers - 08/03/18 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr Redneck
she is 7 months old and has spent 2 months in obedience school

You probably paid someone a Grand to obedience train your gyp. Why didn’t you ask him how to operate a shock collar?
Posted By: Mapman

Re: I'd like some shock collar pointers - 08/03/18 12:48 AM

Please get a video on collar conditioning. Bill Hillman uses them as a training tool. If you are going that route, get his videos on the subject.

An E collar is just another tool to use in the training process. Low pressure for teaching and more for re-enforcing a known command.

Re: I'd like some shock collar pointers - 08/03/18 12:56 AM

Thanks for the advice !!
Posted By: Guy

Re: I'd like some shock collar pointers - 08/03/18 01:44 AM

Educate yourself first, or you will ruin your dog. This is a good dvd.

Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: I'd like some shock collar pointers - 08/03/18 05:11 AM

Don't use it unless you are using it within a proven program or getting help from a pro.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: I'd like some shock collar pointers - 08/03/18 12:05 PM

This post gives me tired head.
Posted By: bruiser

Re: I'd like some shock collar pointers - 08/03/18 12:42 PM

I have a half lab, half vizsla and he's usually 200-300 yards away checking fence lines, farm equipment, etc. for birds and rabbits. I started with the collar on the lowest setting and would just tap it and call his name to come. On occasion I'll have to move the collar up to 2-3 to get his attention but almost all of the time it's on the lowest setting. He can be out of sight and I hit the button and he comes running. That's all I use it for, to get him to come to me when he's too far out.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum