Texas Hunting Forum

Decoys for Doves

Posted By: Cajun Raider

Decoys for Doves - 05/02/18 07:10 PM

Understand that a lot of people think that White Wings are not attracted to decoys, whether stationary or spinning? Would like to get more opinions. Thanks
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Decoys for Doves - 05/02/18 07:12 PM

The outfitter we use in Uvalde says they don't work and has told some people just to put them away.
Posted By: kdub

Re: Decoys for Doves - 05/02/18 07:30 PM

They seem to work great on mourning dove but I have not had luck with decoying white wings. They are usually high flying and on a mission to or from a feeding site.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Decoys for Doves - 05/02/18 07:52 PM

If its a feeding area it works great for me .
Posted By: nate33

Re: Decoys for Doves - 05/02/18 08:05 PM

Sally sue cant hit a bird past 15 yards,, so if he says it brings them in I tend to believe him !!!!!!!

Re: Decoys for Doves - 05/02/18 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: nate33
Sally sue cant hit a bird past 15 yards,, so if he says it brings them in I tend to believe him !!!!!!!
Aint that the truth

Re: Decoys for Doves - 05/02/18 08:11 PM

But I did shoot 44 this morning
Posted By: KingHunter17

Re: Decoys for Doves - 05/02/18 09:26 PM

If you are in the field that the white wings want to be in and are eating in then they will work and you can get them to decoy. If you are hunting the flyway then they don't seem to work at all but they don't seem to scare them either so if I'm hunting a white wing flyways and there are morning dove in the area as well then i will put out the mojos. Morning dove absolutely love all types of decoys though.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Decoys for Doves - 05/02/18 10:58 PM

Decoys even with morning dove are hit and miss. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. I enjoy scouting and patterning the birds, and staying on the move. Shot easy limits last season doing this.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Decoys for Doves - 05/02/18 11:32 PM

I use 6 stationary decoys and 1 Mojo, all on a Mojo T-post. I use them to give me the upper hand where I hunt on a pond. What it does for me is gets their attention and sends them down an alley of sorts and right into me from about 30 yards away. It’s a great setup for me, and I will be adding another Mojo and some of the flockers for this season.
Posted By: Garwoodie

Re: Decoys for Doves - 05/03/18 12:53 PM

My experience, similar to some of the above - if in a white wing feeding field, you can get some to decoy, usually not the big flocks. They work really well on mourning dove. Every once in a while I noticed on mourning dove that they are not effective at all. I just take them down for that hunt.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Decoys for Doves - 05/03/18 05:00 PM

We get a few ww out near Throckmortan on our lease. They usually just ignore the mojos but sometimes a blind pig finds a nut....

but the best thing on our lease is we don't need decoys 90% of the time. Lots of birds to keep you busy banana
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Decoys for Doves - 05/03/18 05:42 PM

When those mojos first hit the market they worked great. Last few years I don't think they add much value and half the time I don't put them out anymore.

Not sure why really, dove don't have much of a lifespan so they're not getting smarter.

Same thing with ducks...those decoys used to work great but don't think they're effective now, but I always attributed that to birds getting smarter and ducks live a while.
Posted By: nate33

Re: Decoys for Doves - 05/03/18 06:34 PM

Put the decoys waaayyyy up in the air,,, 10 feet or so ------ white wings might not come in to land, but they often will detour over to check it out and offer a passing shot.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Decoys for Doves - 05/03/18 06:39 PM

That’s ^^^ what I do. The higher the better. Gets their attention, and takes the focus off the hunter plus it helps put the birds where it most advantageous for the hunter.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Decoys for Doves - 05/03/18 09:05 PM

Our last place had an out of service power line that always attracted dove. If it was going to be a long term place I would look into setting up a fake power line.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum