Texas Hunting Forum

Time for a good argument!

Posted By: BDB

Time for a good argument! - 03/31/18 07:50 PM

Lets here it...Muddbuddy, Gatortail, Pro Drive or Boss mud motor?

New motors are out now, 40hp stock from all above. I need to decide on a motor soon for the boat I'm having built. I'm getting a new 40hp just need to decide on brand. Pro drive is out for the places I hunt its down to the other 3. Boss is the MB spin off and not to much info available on them but some reports are looking good. From most accounts its coin toss between MB and GT.

So really, if the mud motor gods offered you a free motor, what would be your pick?
Posted By: 68A

Re: Time for a good argument! - 03/31/18 07:55 PM

GT
Posted By: TDK

Re: Time for a good argument! - 03/31/18 08:19 PM

I’d trade towards an outboard.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Time for a good argument! - 03/31/18 09:21 PM

Wait a sec, I don't see go devil on the list, that's gonna make Wayne mad. eek2 bolt

Re: Time for a good argument! - 03/31/18 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: TDK

I just spent a day on Fork crappie fishing with a friend. Dam running around with an outboard. Boat lanes this, boat lanes that..... muyloco

Re: Time for a good argument! - 03/31/18 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Wait a sec, I don't see go devil on the list, that's gonna make Wayne mad. eek2 bolt

Like I said...

Re: Time for a good argument! - 03/31/18 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: BDB

I just spent a day on Fork crappie fishing with a friend. Dam running around with an outboard. Boat lanes this, boat lanes that..... muyloco

Also we were buying minnows near the lake and 3 dudes walked in cussing that lake....owner of a nice bass boat hit a stump and tore up his lower unit bang
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Time for a good argument! - 03/31/18 11:39 PM

Black Cloud sucks
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/02/18 04:43 PM

Why is “PD out for the places you hunt?” You don’t think it can handle the abuse? Too slow?

Who is building your boat? What are your boat specs?
Posted By: rickym

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/02/18 04:51 PM

Who cares, buy what you want and feel most comfortable with.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/02/18 05:07 PM

... From most accounts its coin toss between MB and GT...

Toss a coin.

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/03/18 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Misfire
Why is “PD out for the places you hunt?” You don’t think it can handle the abuse? Too slow?

Who is building your boat? What are your boat specs?

From research PD shines is grass/vegetation/mud. GT and MB are suited for the stumps more. 20/54 boat. Really 19/54 but I'm pointing the bow to get to 20 to avoid flotation. 3/16 bottom and 1/8 sides.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/03/18 05:34 PM

LOL you're not making me mad, all mud motors suck. GD just sucks the least.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/03/18 05:41 PM

From research PD shines is grass/vegetation/mud. GT and MB are suited for the stumps more. 20/54 boat. Really 19/54 but I'm pointing the bow to get to 20 to avoid flotation. 3/16 bottom and 1/8 sides.

I'd like to hear whoever told you that explanation. You do understand that all surface drives use a surface piercing prop right? That means 1/2 the prop is in the water while 1/2 the prop is out of the water when you are on pad running. That means while on pad all the mudmotors with run stumps the same. If you look at the design of a MB and GT vs a PD you will see two that the out drives are at a 90 degree angle vs one with a 45 degree angle. You tell me which angle takes the worst impact from a direct stump impact.

Now if you had said you run hard bottoms the majority of the time and the design of the GT/MB shines there vs a PD I'd buy it. Saying one is better than the other in stumps tells me someone has run all 3 nor is familiar with the lower unit designs.

For stumps I'd make my decision on which one allows me to sit while driving so I don't get ejected from the the boat, which has less tiller torque, and which has the best customer service because at some point if you run stumps 100% of the time you are going to need service with any of them.
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/04/18 01:15 AM

I’m a “prodrive guy” but mostly because it has been very reliable and prodrive has the best customer service of any company I’ve ever experienced..in any industry with any product.

Performance wise vs other brands I have nothing to add. As far as durability it has been pretty darn tough in the 3 years I’ve had mine.

With a boat that large I’d probably look at the Hoss.

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/04/18 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho

I'd like to hear whoever told you that explanation. You do understand that all surface drives use a surface piercing prop right? That means 1/2 the prop is in the water while 1/2 the prop is out of the water when you are on pad running. That means while on pad all the mudmotors with run stumps the same. If you look at the design of a MB and GT vs a PD you will see two that the out drives are at a 90 degree angle vs one with a 45 degree angle. You tell me which angle takes the worst impact from a direct stump impact.

Now if you had said you run hard bottoms the majority of the time and the design of the GT/MB shines there vs a PD I'd buy it. Saying one is better than the other in stumps tells me someone has run all 3 nor is familiar with the lower unit designs.

For stumps I'd make my decision on which one allows me to sit while driving so I don't get ejected from the the boat, which has less tiller torque, and which has the best customer service because at some point if you run stumps 100% of the time you are going to need service with any of them.

I should have added hard bottoms with stumps. Yes thats what I was told...PD shines in the soft bottom/vegetation and the others are better suited for hard bottoms.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/08/18 12:51 PM

Jet...........
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/08/18 04:32 PM

My PD runs great in stumps. As said above their customer service is unmatched. With that big of boat it's gonna be a turd no matter what motor you go with...might as well get two!

Have you considered what logic, if any, makes the statement that one is better than the other for different bottoms?
Posted By: GravyWheels

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/09/18 06:06 PM

I'd be all over the new Go-Devil 40hp with the F-N-R they have out now....

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/09/18 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Exbellicus
My PD runs great in stumps. As said above their customer service is unmatched. With that big of boat it's gonna be a turd no matter what motor you go with...might as well get two!

Have you considered what logic, if any, makes the statement that one is better than the other for different bottoms?

I've had several people that are experienced give me advise. Some well known names here and MMT. My boat builder said if I were hunting lakes like Caddo Pro drive was the way to go. But hard bottoms with stumps GT, MB or Boss

I'm getting a new 40 as word is they (Manu's) will try to phase out the 37's
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/11/18 05:24 AM

So you don't know why. Sounds like we're in the same boat.
Posted By: john paul

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/11/18 01:11 PM

I wouldn't trade the ease of reverse on my GT for anything. So I'd go with GT.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/11/18 02:04 PM

Most of y'all need this, if you can't negotiate a few stumps:

Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/11/18 05:47 PM

While we're at it... tiller vs console?

I know for the most part you have more control with the tiller - so you can turn faster and get on it if you're stuck. But, I need to cross a lot of open water at times and I'm used to having the console. I don't hunt from the boat so the space used isn't a problem. And I like to fish and drink beer... all pros for the console.

Docking on a windy day without reverse seems like a PITA to me, too. I guess you get used to it or get one with it?

As soon as I get kids out of college I will be in the market. Youngest is a senior in high school... so like another 8 years or so.

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/11/18 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: john paul
I wouldn't trade the ease of reverse on my GT for anything. So I'd go with GT.

I'm not sure reverse is an issue today on any of the major players. GT actually just caught up with MB on the reverse thing. If I new BOSS would be a kick arse motor I go with them. But they are kinda new kid on the block. But hearing some good things about them. MB is the safest bet maybe with GT...if they shored up some issues like the grapevine is saying then its a coin flip between MB and GT...taking BOSS out of the equation. If GT sat lower than MB I'd go Gt but I don't like how high the GT sits. I do like GT new handle design though.

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/11/18 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

I know for the most part you have more control with the tiller - so you can turn faster and get on it if you're stuck. But, I need to cross a lot of open water at times and I'm used to having the console. I don't hunt from the boat so the space used isn't a problem. And I like to fish and drink beer... all pros for the console.

Docking on a windy day without reverse seems like a PITA to me, too. I guess you get used to it or get one with it?

As soon as I get kids out of college I will be in the market. Youngest is a senior in high school... so like another 8 years or so.

Reverse is handy on windy days, especially if you hunt solo a lot, which I do a lot, and I do not have reverse. The wind blows the nose of the boat around, taking off from shore solo, wind in your face can be difficult keeping nose pointed into the wind, normally have to put in gear standing out side the boat. A reason tiller can be better here, also getting stuck, many times it requires getting out of boat with it in gear giving it gas to get unstuck, tiler helps here, you can stir and give gas with one hand, push boat with the other hand. Long rides and scouting center consol would be nice.

But monovering the boat in tight spots with wind would be nice to have reverse, especially when solo.

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/12/18 02:16 PM

GT actually just caught up with MB on the reverse thing.

roflmao roflmao roflmao Wipe your chin.

GT had a reverse long before MB ever had a dang tiller steer motor on the market. SMH! rofl
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/12/18 02:51 PM

BW. He talked to some well known internet guys.

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/12/18 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
GT actually just caught up with MB on the reverse thing.

roflmao roflmao roflmao Wipe your chin.

GT had a reverse long before MB ever had a dang tiller steer motor on the market. SMH! rofl

Thanks for the enlightening info....but I was referring to the fact that when the HDR by MB came out they set a new...ahh sort of standards for reverse. They went from way behind to slightly ahead. GT...with the new series they released last year is now basically the same. The old 2 hand with the brake is now no longer....just flip the toggle and hit the throttle.

Now don't swallow it... roflmao

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/12/18 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass

yep...and I'd bet you could not play MM jeopardy with them at all.

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/12/18 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

I'm going tiller for sure as this is a duck boat first and fishing boat 2nd. And my fishing is layed back and drink a few too. In another 8 years these dam mm will be so different than whats coming out right now....no telling what will be available. Arkansas is thinking about outlawing mm on their state Wm.'s. I suspect we will have quieter mm with more speed and power than we do now.

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/13/18 03:45 PM

I'm sure they are very cool online.

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/13/18 10:11 PM

Would you like to talk to them? You might learn something.

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/13/18 11:37 PM

Would you like to talk to them? You might learn something.

You realize I have access to the same internet as you? Like it's not a club. Literally I bought my boat from mmt. It's not like I need a secret password.
Posted By: OTL91

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/14/18 04:03 AM

Buy an outboard, long tail, and a surface drive.... I am all about options.

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/15/18 02:39 PM

"You realize I have access to the same internet as you? Like it's not a club. Literally I bought my boat from mmt. It's not like I need a secret password."

Are you saying...."you also have talked to some well known internet guys" in your past?

Just riding you dood for your smirk post. Cheers cheers

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/15/18 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: OTL91

I have a long tail on my 15ft boat ...does great but that rig is limited on what it can do.

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/16/18 05:46 PM

"You realize I have access to the same internet as you? Like it's not a club. Literally I bought my boat from mmt. It's not like I need a secret password."

Are you saying...."you also have talked to some well known internet guys" in your past?

This post is for arguing. Get to it.

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/16/18 10:09 PM

Well if thats the case I hear you work on trolling motors??

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/17/18 04:34 PM

Well if thats the case I hear you work on trolling motors??

You heard wrong. Be like saying I use diapers.

I did once. But I don't.

But I do have a very strong opinion on what manufacturer is the best.

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/17/18 05:56 PM

Motorguide is playing catch up. Minn Kota has this new foot steer that's LIGHT YEARS ahead of the competition according to my internet sources. rolleyes rofl They were also 1st to market with a 110V TM. 110V is 4X as efficient as 12, 24, or 36V! rofl rofl
Posted By: Judd

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/17/18 07:45 PM

What don’t you have a strong opinion on? bolt

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/17/18 09:52 PM

I have decided on a motor! But within 5 years I may be getting a new one as these things are going to change again soon. As my boat is 20 footer and 3/16 bottom if they have one that's even stronger I'll pay to play.

GULP........Gatortail for now.....but dam near got the Muddbuddy.

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/17/18 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd

What don’t you have a strong opinion on? bolt

Beer types

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/18/18 01:07 AM

Why would you ever want a long tail over a surface drive? Other than cost. We need to get this argument back on track.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/18/18 01:36 PM

Why would you ever want a long tail over a surface drive? Other than cost. We need to get this argument back on track.

Some folks would be perfectly happy with a long tail. They may not have the need for speed and all the other things a surface drive offers. I used a longtail for years. I switched because I had a 6 mile drive across open bay, plus more miles up the canals. It took forever to get that drive over with. I would have the throttle as wide open as possible and crawl across the bay. I used to smoke Marlboro reds back in the day. Many mornings I would light a smoke on the muffler. It would glow orange because we would run wide open for so long.

I have a 5 hp long tail for my layout boat now. I am looking forward to the day I can actually get some duck blood on the bow of it.
Posted By: OTL91

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/18/18 09:44 PM

I hunt an area which has a hard bottom on top but can dig around and down with long tail and get to mud I am able to push a prop through. The longtail also acts as a good hammer when I am running an icy lake and the boat didn't break ice ahead of motor. I also like how simple longtails are with limited components to fail. I dislike the speed of longtails when it's above freezing and miss having reverse occasionally, but that's why I kept an outboard for using during spring and summer.

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/19/18 12:57 AM

A surface drive will take you anywhere a longtail will go. Now a surface drive will not get you back out once you set it down.

I've run them both and with any timber I'm too old to run a longtail. Dang things will jar your teeth loose especially when your fighting to kwwp her down in deep water. A pro drive I can run for hours sitting down like an old. If anyone in North East Texas is over 30 and picks a longtail over a surface drive kudos to you. Tougher than me.

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/20/18 01:33 PM

My current boat is a 15/40 and the long tail on it is perfect for what the boat is capable of. The boat is so light weight I can easily turn it around and shove off while standing outside the boat then step in, grab the handle and away I go. I'm not sure I would want a surface drive on that boat. The only thing I did not like about it (backwater 23hp)was the throttle control. I took the factory off and put a BPS lever throttle on it. When the waves get bigger that LT is brute to control
Posted By: Heisman25g

Re: Time for a good argument! - 04/21/18 12:35 PM

I’ve got a mud boat
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Time for a good argument! - 05/28/18 02:58 AM

a boat that size you may want to check out the 75hp boss.

I had a 20x44 with gatortrax with a 45hp mudbuddy. I didn't feel under powered but didn't get great performance out of it either.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Time for a good argument! - 05/29/18 12:47 PM

I would go outboard as well but mounted on a stump jumper kickup jackplate.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum