Texas Hunting Forum

Lease prices?

Posted By: Mathp

Lease prices? - 03/29/18 07:04 PM

I have a 20 acre lake 10 miles north of Mineral Wells. I'm thinking of leasing it out this coming season and looking for input on pricing. Friends have leased it in the past at bargain prices and they have been very successful! I've seen ducks all over the lake most every time I stop by on the way to my deer lease. What do y'all think is fair?
Posted By: john paul

Re: Lease prices? - 03/29/18 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Mathp
I have a 20 acre lake 10 miles north of Mineral Wells. I'm thinking of leasing it out this coming season and looking for input on pricing. Friends have leased it in the past at bargain prices and they have been very successful! I've seen ducks all over the lake most every time I stop by on the way to my deer lease. What do y'all think is fair?

$4000
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Lease prices? - 03/29/18 08:46 PM

waterfowl lease prices/rates are all over the place whereas deer leases are GENERALLY in the same ball park for each given area. I've seen 5ac water holes go for 12k/season, and I've seen 40 acre crawfish type impoundments go for less than half that. all comes down to actual duck numbers, and the places proximity to a populated area. JP is in the right ball park, but might could get more than that depending on duck numbers.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Lease prices? - 03/30/18 01:45 PM

You can get a lot more than 4K. I leased a place 4-6 guns 2k gun. 17 acres.

You need to lease it to a group that hunts together so there’s no conflict and it doesn’t get over hunted. Also instill some rules in the lease for instance allow hunting once a week and once on the weekend maximum two days a week with three days rest in between.

This way they will want to lease it again.

I would put no less than four guns on it and charge 2000 to 3000 a gun- depending on how it holds ducks. Good flyway, big water-should hold good numbers

We typically allowed hunting once every five days- unless artic blast. We threw in Dove as bonus as well
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Lease prices? - 03/30/18 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: woodduckhunter
waterfowl lease prices/rates are all over the place whereas deer leases are GENERALLY in the same ball park for each given area. I've seen 5ac water holes go for 12k/season, and I've seen 40 acre crawfish type impoundments go for less than half that. all comes down to actual duck numbers, and the places proximity to a populated area. JP is in the right ball park, but might could get more than that depending on duck numbers.

Yep good places fetch a bigger premium
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Lease prices? - 03/30/18 02:39 PM

$.08/gallon is what I typically see

Re: Lease prices? - 03/30/18 05:47 PM

Ramball could you do the math for me?
Posted By: 16ga

Re: Lease prices? - 04/02/18 07:50 PM

if pond is 20 ac and averages 6' deep you have 120 acre ft of water x 325,829 gallons per acre ft = 39,099,480 gallons

At the previously mentioned 8 cents per gallon = $3,127,959 lease px...
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Lease prices? - 04/02/18 08:10 PM

Precisely

Re: Lease prices? - 04/13/18 08:23 PM

16ga if that a firm offer?
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Lease prices? - 04/23/18 04:26 PM

Whoa y'all pay a lot for some ducks.....2k a gun? That's crazy talk....I don't pay that for deer, no way I'm paying that for ducks. But there's a sucker born everyday so I'm not knocking y'all for making some cash.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Lease prices? - 04/24/18 09:56 PM

theres crazier numbers in the deer hunting world. There's suckers born everyday that pay tens of thousands to shoot an animal that has been raised in captivity
Posted By: Guy

Re: Lease prices? - 04/24/18 11:02 PM

Do a forecast of how many ducks could be killed with good shots, not over hunting, etc...$5 a duck.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Lease prices? - 04/24/18 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Whoa y'all pay a lot for some ducks.....2k a gun? That's crazy talk....I don't pay that for deer, no way I'm paying that for ducks. But there's a sucker born everyday so I'm not knocking y'all for making some cash.

I wouldn’t pay over a case of beer to shoot a deer. Quail are a different story. If I still wanted to get up early enough to kill a duck and sit out in the cold to watch my dog fetch them, I’d pay $2K for a good place, if it were right next door to my house and I could bring my kids.
Posted By: 16ga

Re: Lease prices? - 04/26/18 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Mathp
16ga if that a firm offer?

No, I'd have to be a little south of that.

Back home in AR, pits go for $5-10,000 per year depending on many factors. Not sure if that is a good comparison, but I could see a 20 ac pond, in a good flyway, comparable to a 4-5 man pit in a rice/bean field.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum