Texas Hunting Forum

Drilling a Water well and installing a pump question

Posted By: MikeOH

Drilling a Water well and installing a pump question - 03/02/18 03:52 AM

Thinking about having a well drilled and a pump installed to have control of water levels for duck hunting. I have a 5-6 acre area surrounded by a dike that has existing sloughs. Has anyone had a well drilled? Hoping to find someone to talk to that could give some advice. Also, if anyone knows a good company in the Lamar county area that would be great. Just PM me. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Drilling a Water well and installing a pump question - 03/02/18 08:49 PM

Call a driller in the area, they will have the pertinent information you want
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Drilling a Water well and installing a pump question - 03/04/18 09:31 PM

Agree. Unless they have logged wells at about 100GPM minimum- your peeing in the wind. May need multiple wells. I would definitely not even attempt to drill if wells drilled in area are below 50GPM
Posted By: brazosboyt

Re: Drilling a Water well and installing a pump question - 03/05/18 02:44 AM

1 acre foot of water is 325,000 gallons. If your wetland is really flat and you want 1’ on 5 acres- 1,625,000

At 100 gpm That’s 270 hours of pumping. If gas or diesel you will run 1-1.5 gph on most pumps. You better have a big tank or you will be going daily. If you have 3 phase power, my 35hp well pulls about $3/hr.

Now let’s say your 3’ deep one the Lowe end to get 6” on the high end and that volume goes way up.

I agree on calling a local well company. I ya e farms in the same county and one gas water atb12’ and the other is over 1000’.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Drilling a Water well and installing a pump question - 03/08/18 06:45 PM

Would a windmill work ?
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Drilling a Water well and installing a pump question - 03/08/18 07:58 PM

as already said, it is area specific. In good river bottoms, good water can be found at 40' and drilled with an auger rig or a rig that is used to set rat holes and conductor casing. That would be the best luck scenario cheaper route, to have a 16" well, set with that and a pump that can be hooked up to a 40 hp tractor. Smaller wells and electric pumps, operation and maintenance will be pricey quick.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Drilling a Water well and installing a pump question - 03/17/18 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Wytex
Would a windmill work ?

No way-no volume
Posted By: MikeOH

Re: Drilling a Water well and installing a pump question - 03/18/18 01:45 AM

I spoke to a company that drills wells in the area and it’s a no-go. Bad area for wells. Said residential wells are even tough. Looks like I will just pray for rain.
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Drilling a Water well and installing a pump question - 03/18/18 07:36 PM

Creek nearby you could get a little draft pump and pull from?
Posted By: duckboogieman

Re: Drilling a Water well and installing a pump question - 03/26/18 05:37 PM

We build small lakes / large ponds adjacent to our impoundments for this purpose.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Drilling a Water well and installing a pump question - 03/26/18 06:49 PM

We are lucky, we have multiple spring fed ponds on the property between 20-200 yards from the duck pond
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum