Texas Hunting Forum

Well it's over thank goodness

Posted By: Aggieduck

Well it's over thank goodness - 01/29/18 12:21 PM

Season continued to be tough. I didn't shoot well had tough hunts and really never had good bird numbers. Went out with 4 days in a row and it was ok at best and could have been a little better but as mentioned it wasn't. It could be lack of focus, 1 yo at home w/ pregnant wife I kinda had one foot out the blind probably. We'll see what next year brings with two under two.

Thursday scouted 100 birds 15ish showed up. Hunted with a buddy and unfortunately we had a few lost birds

Friday had 2 gadwalls missed a pintail and mallard easy no picture (Maggie brought this hen out while I was picking up decoys as to say 'hey we got this atleast')

Saturday more of the same

Sunday this place had geese Friday when I looked not on Sunday though

Never been so glad to have a season end. Maggie had a good year but left plenty of room to improve. She's only 2 and still a little wild but at the end of the season she was hitting birds with more drive than ever. Pretty sure she's mad at like I was 10 years ago.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Well it's over thank goodness - 01/29/18 12:40 PM

Its a crime wishing a season to end
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Well it's over thank goodness - 01/29/18 02:32 PM

Sorry you had a tough one, sounds like my deer season but the pics of your dog make me smile and should for you too.
Posted By: QuackShack

Re: Well it's over thank goodness - 01/29/18 02:38 PM

Family first! Me time is over when you have kids. I had 3 in 3 years and 3 months. You will sacrifice a lot more then hunting time in the near future. Had to give up fishing tournaments and a lot of hunting opportunities. Its natural to have a foot out of the blind thinking that you should be home. It used to bother the crap out of me. Had to learn to curve my expectations before the season started and before the hunt and things got a lot better knowing its not about a limit or that im not able to hunt till noon if need be.

You will blink and they will be 10years old and doing things on their own and you will get some of your time back little by little. Anyone who has hunted long enough has had bad shooting outings or even whole seasons. Get back to the basics and it will improve.

Enjoy the good and great retrieves and laugh off the terrible ones, they usually happen in the same hunt. Anyone with a dog has experienced both.

And congrats on #2!!!!
Posted By: yakinthebox

Re: Well it's over thank goodness - 01/29/18 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: QuackShack
Family first! Me time is over when you have kids. I had 3 in 3 years and 3 months. You will sacrifice a lot more then hunting time in the near future. Had to give up fishing tournaments and a lot of hunting opportunities. Its natural to have a foot out of the blind thinking that you should be home. It used to bother the crap out of me. Had to learn to curve my expectations before the season started and before the hunt and things got a lot better knowing its not about a limit or that im not able to hunt till noon if need be.

You will blink and they will be 10years old and doing things on their own and you will get some of your time back little by little. Anyone who has hunted long enough has had bad shooting outings or even whole seasons. Get back to the basics and it will improve.

Enjoy the good and great retrieves and laugh off the terrible ones, they usually happen in the same hunt. Anyone with a dog has experienced both.

And congrats on #2!!!!

Amen to all this. I'm a father to 2 and family comes first for sure. I got 11 hunts in this year which included 2 days I used vacation time. The problem is, we always want more.

And yeah, sometimes bad seasons just happen. 15'-16' was REAL bad for me. Like 7 birds for the whole season bad!!!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Well it's over thank goodness - 01/29/18 05:21 PM

Shame on you! I’d be happy if the season started all over again. Not just because it was a rough season, but I never want to give it a break.
Posted By: brianaustintx

Re: Well it's over thank goodness - 01/29/18 05:38 PM

Man, I've very new to this...as this is my first season. But I want it to start over again! I can't wait till next season...going to be shooting a lot of skeet preparing for opening day.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Well it's over thank goodness - 01/29/18 06:25 PM

Beautiful dog. We all have rough seasons.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum