Texas Hunting Forum

Wild Rice

Posted By: HVILLE HNTR

Wild Rice - 01/25/18 02:08 AM

Already thinking about next season and planting a food source for ducks on one of our tanks this year. Don’t have the ability to drain/control water levels and was looking at seeds that could be planted in standing water. Wild Rice seems to be the best bet on some research l have already done. Was planning on calling wildlife biologist tomorrow to get his opinion but figured l would ask here first to see if y’all have any suggestions
Posted By: wacoducks

Re: Wild Rice - 01/25/18 03:29 AM

thinking about doing the same thing interested to hear what is said
Posted By: rickym

Re: Wild Rice - 01/25/18 04:31 AM

Same here. My plan, duck weed, wild rice in the shallows, millet and smartweed around the bank.
up
Posted By: Duckkillaz

Re: Wild Rice - 01/25/18 11:28 AM

Shoot you guys need to just go throw out some "gold" AKA deer corn my friends...

Why waste time planting? Throw out a few bags every two weeks. Toss a little on the bank but everything else under the water in case you get checked by the GWs.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Wild Rice - 01/25/18 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Duckkillaz
Shoot you guys need to just go throw out some "gold" AKA deer corn my friends...

Why waste time planting? Throw out a few bags every two weeks. Toss a little on the bank but everything else under the water in case you get checked by the GWs.

welcome
Posted By: bentman

Re: Wild Rice - 01/25/18 04:23 PM

All my tanks have duck weed that's all you need
Posted By: kemon86

Re: Wild Rice - 01/25/18 05:08 PM

Wigeon grass is easy to get in your ponds too.
Posted By: Woodlands Water Turkey

Re: Wild Rice - 01/28/18 03:25 AM

Without the ability to manipulate water levels, it is pretty much a crap shoot.

Hope for a dry summer and seed the muddy banks with millet. If it takes and then you get rain to flood it, you are in business. Oh, and cows will try to eat every bit of it.
Posted By: js4242

Re: Wild Rice - 01/28/18 04:33 AM

[quote=Woodlands Water Turkey]Without the ability to manipulate water levels, it is pretty much a crap shoot.

This ^^^
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Wild Rice - 01/28/18 12:21 PM

I got a new pond so keep me up dated on what you all come up with
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum