Texas Hunting Forum

Great weekend

Posted By: wal1809

Great weekend - 01/08/18 02:20 PM

I headed out Friday morning for Port O'Connor with my nieces husband, son and son in law for a little duck action. The tide was sucks out farther than I have \ever seen it. Airboats only where we headed. We met brandon (Ruffling Feathers Guide Service) on the water and loaded him from his Shoalwater to the airboat and headed to the bad lands. That was a fun ride. Miles of mud and inches deep water. Thanks to Lonestar Boatworks they have the airboat ginning better than when I bought it. It was carrying a massive load to get back to the blind. It barely even struggled. I figured the load was 1800 to 1900 lbs. I tested it on one og the little islands. It crawled up and over an island with a little struggle, but with that payload I was more than satisfied.

We didn't kill a lot of birds but this is why is was a great weekend. First morning we get to wa hole that Brandon had scouted. As we near the hole I could see headlamps bouncing. It was four guys running trying to get to that hole but they just could not get their first. We had the hole. When they got to the shoreline they just stood there, I know they were thinking "WTH are going to do". I fired back up and pulled rightup to them. They were in a bay boat and walked a looooooong way carrying their gear. I asked and they had four people. With our six that made ten shooters. Thats too many. I said yall stay here, we are going to look at the south side, if it won't work, yall can keep the hole. We went and it just would not work so we left. The two twenty year ish old men in the boat all agreed it was right. That was their first home run with me. Travis Y...... from Richmond, Texas I hope to see you again one day. You're a true sportsman and a heck of a polite young man.

So we shot very few early on. Then to stop us short, a guide came in and dropped off a group 150 right out in front of us. They were sky buttering everything. We packed it in. Just because we did the right thing, it in no way guarantees a return. Thats OK, it doesn't have to for the lesson we taught to the youth of my family was the return. No doubt these two impressionable young men will always put sportsmanship first before killing a bird.

Fast forward to the evening. BRandon had a crew and we went to a spot I have hunted. Not typically a barrel burner but I knew there would be birds. The boys got some trigger time. Three birds in on one volley and three birds down in the deeks. Black bitch gets two and off to get the third. I walked off to get the boat and shortly noticed she was behind with the bird. I told her to drop it, knowing the wind would take it right back to the blind. I get the boat, we are loading and I asked if they picked up the bird. We all looked and one of the boys walked over to get it. as he returned he asked who shot it. We had no way of knowing at that point.

I have seen grown men become super duper a......s over bands. The childish behavior I have witnessed is astonishing. Well the young man walked up to his new bro in law, laid the bird in front of him and said "Here is your first band". My grand nephew tried to give it back. That went on back and forth for a minute. He finally accepted the band. These are fine young men. What a great weekend capper!

https://preview.ibb.co/h1BtCR/19426.jpg

https://ibb.co/e5Lye6
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Great weekend - 01/08/18 05:39 PM

sweet! sounds like a fun weekend.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum