Texas Hunting Forum

Leaky Waders, HELP!

Posted By: yakinthebox

Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/04/18 04:08 PM

Alright, here's the deal.

I have a pair of the Rogers Elite waders and I really like them and can't afford to get waders of the same quality right now. Problem is, they are leaking in a couple spots. The boots have leaked more than once. The first time was a puncture. I bought SG-20 and patched them, great product.

Fast forward to now, the boots developed a leak where the rubber is getting weathered. I got more SG-20 and patched them, worked great.

The real problem is that there is a leak in the crotch. I did the whole pump them with air and find the leak with soapy water thing. My issue is that the fabric that is lamenated to the neoprene has separated and when I blow air, the bubbles just seep out through the fabric thus making it very difficult if not impossible to find the exact leaking spot.

Any suggestions? Should I cut the fabric to expose the neoprene underneath? Flexseal the whole area a couple coats? It seems to be on a seam but I can't tell where. One thing I know for sure is that on Tuesday that 26 degrees did not feel pleasant all on my lower extremities!!!

Please help a brother out!!!!!
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/04/18 04:37 PM

Crotch leaks are the hardest to fix, especially with neoprene. Have you tried the flashlight trick?
Posted By: cannon88

Re: Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/04/18 04:40 PM

Yep, probably just do the Flexseal thing
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/04/18 04:41 PM

Just buy a new pair..... 2cents

Better to be dry in a cheap pair than wet in an expensive pair.... up
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/04/18 04:48 PM

Have you called Rogers? They are pretty good about warranty on their stuff
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/04/18 04:51 PM

TRust me, I got a brother with a middle name of "I am cheap as **** and I can fix it". Cut the fabric back to expose the leak area. Take a 5 or 6 inch 2 by 4 inside the waders. Mash in silicone from the outside. Work it into the hole with the board behind giving you something solid to mash on. Kepp doing it until you are sure silicone went through. Let it dry repeat in the opposite direction. When All is dry do the same thing to the fabrc you cut back. Glue it back with the silicone. Use a lot to adhere the fabric but to also coat the general area.

Re: Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/04/18 05:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have contacted them. waiting to hear back. These are a pair that were actually a replacement from the original pair which leaked after less than a year.

I'm starting to think their waders are just junk.

Re: Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/04/18 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Just buy a new pair..... 2cents

Better to be dry in a cheap pair than wet in an expensive pair.... up

Trust me, I would if that was an option...
Posted By: Ojai Hunter

Re: Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/04/18 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: cannon88
Yep, probably just do the Flexseal thing

X 1000,...if you go the Flexseal route, you will be able to walk through alligator infested water, and feel perfectly safe,......
Posted By: thomas_z71

Re: Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/04/18 07:52 PM

So with flexseal, you just brush it on both sides and you're good? I may get some of that. I ripped about a nickel sized piece near my boot the other day. The outter layer is still attached so was just going to silicone it back down to seal it. Now I'm thinking flexseal?
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/04/18 10:30 PM

Shoe goo works great.
Posted By: Roc

Re: Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/05/18 02:37 AM

100% best you can do is apply Gear Aid Auquaseal for waders. Flexible and won’t crack. Don’t waste your time on anything else.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/05/18 03:08 AM

Academy is got all their waders on clearance. Get a cheap pair to finish the season, and replace your good pair later when you can.

Re: Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/05/18 12:39 PM

Thanks guys. I applied a layer of Flexseal all over from about belly area down. I'll find out tomorrow if this works. If not, I'll be taking Hopedale's advice and hitting up Academy. I applied an extra layer around the crotch area and seams as I suspect that is the source of the leak. I am actually surprised at how good the repair looks. I was expecting a huge mess. I got the brown type of flexseal. I tried adding a pic but the pesky resolution is too high...

Re: Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/05/18 12:40 PM

I really wanted to do a patch of the actual leaking spot but I can't locate it...
Posted By: thomas_z71

Re: Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/05/18 09:23 PM

flexseal on mine worked great! I was nervous b/c I only gave it 10 hours to dry(yes I wait til last minute on everything). Anyway, socks were dry this morning, granted I probably didn't have them in the water quite as much, it was enough to tell it made a difference.

Re: Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/11/18 07:17 PM

While flexseal slowed the leak, it didn't fix it. Looks like I'll be getting a cheap pair of waders for this weekends hunt.

I'll probably hang onto these and see if I can't figure out a solution still but that will be an off season project.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Leaky Waders, HELP! - 01/12/18 01:53 PM

Academy has them on sale right now, at least the 2 near me on 1960
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum