Texas Hunting Forum

Winchester shells

Posted By: Blake E.

Winchester shells - 12/27/17 10:13 PM

I'm sure I'm about to get some grief on this. I see more wounded birds with silver box Winchester. Guys buy it because it's easy to find and cheap. I can usually kill 6 ducks with 10 or less shells. I shot some the other day. Confirmed my suspicion. 10 shells finally wounded a duck bad enough I could kill it on the water with 2 more shells. Absolute junk in my opinion.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Winchester shells - 12/27/17 11:08 PM

For some it shoots great, for others it doesn't. My 1100 fixed imp cyl loves the game and target 6 shot steel loads for teal and they are stupid cheap for steel. Now when I shoot the waterfowl #4 I cant hit anything. So I've been shooting black cloud with ok success, will try something different when the case is empty though.

Anybody wanna buy 4 boxes of black cloud #2 shot?
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Winchester shells - 12/27/17 11:09 PM

I've killed 6 Ducks with 10 or less shells plenty of times with cheap Winchesters. Never seem to wound many birds with any shells I shoot honestly. The most cripples I had in one day were actually with a box of heavy metal
Posted By: creeksidelc

Re: Winchester shells - 12/27/17 11:40 PM

Have tried it all and came to the conclusion that Winchester expert is as good as any.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Winchester shells - 12/27/17 11:47 PM

I think you're talking about Winchester Xperts. And yea those suck. Do a search on Cappy_Tx. He cut one open and the shot inside the shell is horrible. Looks like melted slag ground up.

I prefer Kent

Re: Winchester shells - 12/28/17 12:12 AM

Yes experts, i had the same group of five guys many times that constantly kill birds with heavy metal. One day they bring Winchester and shot terrible. They killed 25 but took 3 times the birds. I hunt guys five times a week. Guys with Winchester experts have a tough time. I had a guy shoot one over the water. Half of the pellets stayed in the wading.
Posted By: Duck Buster

Re: Winchester shells - 12/28/17 12:22 AM

bottom line- Shoot what ammunition you're most accurate with and most confident with. They all have pluses and minuses.

As for switching shells- stick with 1 brand. The speed and load differences may be the difference you see with the 5 guys. I see a difference in my cripple rate when I switch between brands. So I stick with 1 brand.

How far are the birds they're shooting? heavy metal will have better knock down power past 40 yards- which if they're shooting further birds, could see your cripple rate go up.

Don't knock xperts- I recovered 95 ducks/geese this year with 125 rounds. Only had to finish 2 on the water. Had 2 I sailed and couldn't recover, but that was likely bad shooting on my part. But I rarely shoot anything past 25 yards.

Re: Winchester shells - 12/28/17 12:47 AM

Duck buster I believe you do good with them. I bet you shoot well and shoot more to the head. As best as I can tell less tolerance for a body shot than the more premium brands. It could all be coincident. It just seems like my guys have a tougher time when shooting them. Average shot under 40 yards.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Winchester shells - 12/28/17 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Blake E.
Duck buster I believe you do good with them. I bet you shoot well and shoot more to the head. As best as I can tell less tolerance for a body shot than the more premium brands. It could all be coincident. It just seems like my guys have a tougher time when shooting them. Average shot under 40 yards.

Shoot them in the face
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Winchester shells - 12/28/17 02:17 AM

They make the xpert and the superX......I've had decent luck with the superX.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Winchester shells - 12/28/17 03:18 AM

I bought a box last minute this year. Didn’t take a shot the first few hunts. Had all sorts of problems when I finally did take a few shots. I thought I’d messed up when I broke my gun down to clean it well before the season. Turns out it was the ammo.

More than one shell wouldn’t fire. Tried some Remington ammo I had left over from last season on my next hunt and it worked fine. Cycled every shot.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Winchester shells - 12/28/17 08:35 PM

I use 2 BPS's and neither likes the xperts, however, my son shoots an SX3 and it works fine. Just depends on the gun, IMO.
Posted By: GrandmasterB

Re: Winchester shells - 12/30/17 03:49 AM

I had good luck with Winchester shells. Just dont buy the super duper cheap ones. They wouldnt cycle my 1100.
Posted By: Ridn9high

Re: Winchester shells - 12/30/17 04:52 AM

My SBE II shoots the 2-3/3” Xpert 4’s and 6’s very well. I’ve been shooting them for a long time and don’t have many cripples. Most of our shots are decoying birds that are 25 yards or less.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Winchester shells - 12/30/17 02:10 PM

I just shot a teal decoying at 61 yards with patternmaster and rio blue steel nr 3.

Stone cold steve austin dead
Posted By: creeksidelc

Re: Winchester shells - 12/30/17 05:42 PM

Beaver, what were your decoys doing 61 yards away?? Haha
Posted By: Ridn9high

Re: Winchester shells - 12/30/17 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
I just shot a teal decoying at 61 yards with patternmaster and rio blue steel nr 3.

Stone cold steve austin dead

Bet that teal thought he was safe at that range until ol’ sniper put the hammer down.

Re: Winchester shells - 12/30/17 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: creeksidelc
Beaver, what were your decoys doing 61 yards away?? Haha

My decoys were at 20 yrds and 40 yrds out
Ducks this late of the season like to land 60 yrds out and swim towards tgem.
Tomorrow i ll set them out at 10 yards
I went 10 times the last 12 days and shot 49 ducks total
Lots of preparation but love it...2 more days till the water will freeze for 7-8 days bang

Re: Winchester shells - 01/01/18 04:43 PM

Well, shot a box of 2 3/4 of winchester drylock nr 4 this morning.
2 did not fire at all when i had 2 teal locked up.
Its an absolute trash load.

Sticking with heavy metal BB for late season ducks. Best load for me.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Winchester shells - 01/02/18 01:24 PM

Well, shot a box of 2 3/4 of winchester drylock nr 4 this morning.
2 did not fire at all when i had 2 teal locked up.
Its an absolute trash load.

Sticking with heavy metal BB for late season ducks. Best load for me.

We should have been shooting B.B. as well. Ducks cutting us short as well. Cripples but got them all but one.

Re: Winchester shells - 01/02/18 08:16 PM

Shooting ducks after X mas with BB is the ticket, always has been and always will be.
Posted By: TyBU

Re: Winchester shells - 01/04/18 03:53 PM

It doesn't matter what brand of steel shot you use when you are shooting them in the face.

Re: Winchester shells - 01/04/18 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: TyBU
It doesn't matter what brand of steel shot you use when you are shooting them in the face.

yeah, but at 61 yards that face gets a lil small
Posted By: TyBU

Re: Winchester shells - 01/04/18 04:31 PM

Practice

Re: Winchester shells - 01/04/18 04:57 PM

Practice

bang bang bang
Posted By: KnightlingersGunDogs

Re: Winchester shells - 01/07/18 06:02 AM

elmer Learn to shoot and use the best shells you can aford.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum