Texas Hunting Forum

I was on the X but........

Posted By: DWADR

I was on the X but........ - 12/15/17 03:08 AM

The winds shifted overnight and the Cranes flew south off of the roost and missed me by one field in which of course I did not have permission to hunt. I’ve never really talked about it on the forum but I guess I’ll go ahead and tell my story about my passion for hunting Sandhill Crane. Starting off at about the age of 5, I was on the treck for Sandhill Crane out in West Texas with my dad and grandfather every season. My grandfather was a federal judge and we hunted with a good friend of his that was a federal game warden. We pretty much got to hunt cranes wherever we wanted to until my grandfather was too old to make the trip anymore. I’ll never forget sleeping in the back of Don Kriebles (the game warden) jeep Cherokee, wrapped up in the decoy bags and waking up to him handing me an ice cream cone from Dairy Queen during a hunt that was too cold for me to be in the field. I learned so much from them during those years hunting Sandhills and they are absolutely my favorite bird to hunt. Anyway, we had a lot of hunts where the wind was not in our favor but being that we hunted with a game warden, we could usually correct that problem quickly. Man I miss those days!
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: I was on the X but........ - 12/15/17 03:49 AM

Went twice this year so far.
First hunt 33 cranes last week in wichita falls -was my best hunt in 20 years by far-
Second 2 cranes (they went to different field)
Third and fourth hunt will be in the panhandle mid jan
Cant wait.
Shot them with 3 inch tungsten nr 5 in the lips with patern mastern goose tube
Very effective.
Posted By: DWADR

Re: I was on the X but........ - 12/15/17 03:59 AM

They are so much fun to hunt! I ran into another large group of them today but had to get home. Hopefully I can get back out there in January.
Posted By: rickym

Re: I was on the X but........ - 12/15/17 04:00 AM

Have never been but its something I have wanted to give a go. Sounds like you have great memories!
Posted By: john paul

Re: I was on the X but........ - 12/15/17 04:54 PM

Probably my 3rd favorite bird to hunt behind mallards and snow geese. By far my favorite migratory bird to eat.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum