Texas Hunting Forum

Goose Decoys in Duck Spread

Posted By: wacoducks

Goose Decoys in Duck Spread - 12/06/17 09:43 PM

I was curious what the minimum amount of dark geese decoys you'd put in a spread with ducks. During the holiday season I hunt alot in S Oklahoma on small cattle ponds. We see geese every now and then and can turn them with a call, but not have the commit due to no decoys. So how many full bodies/floaters would you recommend adding to the spread?
Posted By: KingHunter17

Re: Goose Decoys in Duck Spread - 12/06/17 11:06 PM

There is one pond that I hunt around the denton area where I usually see a flock or two or geese everytime I hunt it. So I found a really good deal on a dozen full bodies and a dozen floaters and put them in my spread when i hunt that pond. I can't ever get the geese to even look at us but the ducks still came in like normal. That is the only pond I have added geese decoys to my duck spread so i don't know what the results would be other places i hunt but i never see geese at the other places so never tried.
Posted By: Blake E.

Re: Goose Decoys in Duck Spread - 12/06/17 11:30 PM

It will help. Even just four or so on the far side of the spread. When the geese come call till you shoot. Get real excited with your calling as they get closer.
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: Goose Decoys in Duck Spread - 12/06/17 11:34 PM

If it's a small pond and you're not seeing big flocks of geese, I generally use 6 geese or less.

Put them outside of your duck spread. Ducks will land in goose decoys, but geese generally won't finish over duck decoys.
Posted By: claypool

Re: Goose Decoys in Duck Spread - 12/07/17 03:43 PM

Rarely do I set out decoys without at least a couple goose decoys.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Goose Decoys in Duck Spread - 12/07/17 04:20 PM

I use full bodies to help hide the layouts sometimes when there's zero cover. I never see geese where I hunt but the ducks don't mind them at all.
Posted By: Streater

Re: Goose Decoys in Duck Spread - 12/07/17 04:23 PM

Yes. Even if you don’t see geese. I’ve noticed when they’re really spooky ducks will land with the geese. I usually have four or five floaters that I place upwind. I’ve had late season mallards and woodies swim into the goose floaters multiple times. I’d rather 4 Canada gose deeks than a mojo any day.
Posted By: Charlie817

Re: Goose Decoys in Duck Spread - 12/08/17 03:06 PM

I subscribe to the 6 goose decoys or less small water spreads. More when hunting fields or large reservoirs.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Goose Decoys in Duck Spread - 12/08/17 08:43 PM

A half dozen floaters will put you in the game. Use your call to match the tempo of the birds as the approach. Like stated earlier in this thread, call them all the way to the gun. When you get off the call they will usually slide. One other piece of advice is put the goose decoys close. Canada geese will often finish well but when they don't they will slide on the outside edge of the dekes. I like the farthest Canada decoy 25 yards down wind.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Goose Decoys in Duck Spread - 12/08/17 09:47 PM

An exception I have experienced not always, but more than once is where the Geese present were large resident Canadas. The ducks wanted nothing to do with the decoy spread at that location. It was not until the goose decoys were removed or moved farther down the shoreline that the ducks would commit. Another observation hunting water spreads for Geese every time I tried it, the Geese did not like spinning wing mojo decoys. Flapping wing decoys and flagging is the bomb though be it land or water. Geese are very vocal. Having a Canada call and knowing how and when to use it will make a huge difference in your success. More so than with hunting ducks IMO.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum