Texas Hunting Forum

Why do we have a split?

Posted By: Hopedale

Why do we have a split? - 11/26/17 05:23 PM

How about a 5 day delay and no split?

popcorn
Posted By: pervis

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/26/17 05:27 PM

Cause there's no wind and we need another cold front. Delay split etc. I'll take it. Hopefully something will get the birds to move again.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/26/17 05:39 PM

The split is kind of pointless without a weekend being involved in it. That's when everyone hunts.
Posted By: RockDocJoe

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/27/17 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
The split is kind of pointless without a weekend being involved in it. That's when everyone hunts.

And by split, they mean the one week you don't have to consider taking off work.

cheers
Posted By: WreakinHavoc

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/27/17 06:29 PM

I agree...definitely should involve a weekend.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/28/17 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: WreakinHavoc

Ya'll realise if it did, we'd still end the season in Jan right?
Posted By: claypool

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/28/17 01:22 AM

I wish they would put the split during the week of thanksgiving or.christmas. Or better yet close it for 3 weekends. Or even better go back to the 3/30 days and weed out a few wannabes.

No in all seriousness, I like the way Oklahoma does it better. Open a week earlier & close down12 days Sunday after TG.
Posted By: Blake E.

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/28/17 02:10 AM

Lot of places don't have splits. The world did not end in any of those places.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/28/17 02:11 AM

I think a mandatory break in the middle of the season is kind of silly. Just start and end the season when the biologists say it makes the most sense, but a manadatory stoppage has always seemed weird to me. I like that the season opens a week later and the split is only one week now.

I'm open to logical explanations for why the split is necessary. Maybe I'm missing something.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/28/17 02:35 AM

The State is trying to use the days available the best way they know how.

Quote:
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service or we) prescribes final frameworks from which States may select season dates, limits, and other options for the 2017-18 migratory bird hunting seasons. The effect of this final rule is to facilitate the States' selection of hunting seasons and to further the annual establishment of the migratory bird hunting regulations. We annually prescribe frameworks, or outer limits, for dates and times when hunting may occur and the number of birds that may be taken and possessed in hunting seasons. These frameworks are necessary to allow State selections of seasons and limits and to allow recreational harvest at levels compatible with population and habitat conditions.

https://www.federalregister.gov/document...ing-regulations
Posted By: WreakinHavoc

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/28/17 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Hopedale

yuppp, that is the reason I save all my vacation for December... so I can hunt during the week during prime time. 1 weekend of no action would do wonders where I hunt.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/29/17 03:07 AM

Makes little sense now that it doesn't involve a weekend.

It really doesn't effect me at all as I have a place on HPMMU I can hunt during the split week.
Posted By: Ojai Hunter

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/29/17 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

It really doesn't effect me at all as I have a place on HPMMU I can hunt during the split week.

Please educate me, what does HPMMU stand for?
Posted By: noname124398

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/29/17 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Ojai Hunter

High Plains Mallard Management unit. The panhandle area. Longer season than the north and south zones

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/29/17 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Hopedale

My point was that the public around me would really benefit one weekend of not getting blasted. It's to the point where literally there's a boat every 100 yards around the entire lake on weekends. The birds have no safe place to land at all.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/29/17 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Ojai Hunter

Western zone that has no split and few extra days. I'm on the line so I have spot that's in the HPMMU I can hunt when the North Zone closes
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/29/17 05:04 PM

meh this is better than two weeks
Posted By: Threecurl

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/29/17 06:27 PM

My point was that the public around me would really benefit one weekend of not getting blasted. It's to the point where literally there's a boat every 100 yards around the entire lake on weekends. The birds have no safe place to land at all.

It's almost like there's a vast network of computers where idiots can share precise hunting information that could potentially lead to enormous pressure and ridiculous crowding.
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/29/17 08:21 PM

Please go survey them and see how many know what THF is

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/29/17 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Esh and Hattie
Please go survey them and see how many know what THF is

They don't have to know what it is, all they have to do is Google "duck hunting lake....." and a thf thread pops up.
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/29/17 08:51 PM

Is that how that works?

I'm convinced 1/2 the people out there didn't know they were going duck hunting 12 hours before they rounded up their red bull buddies to go. Let them go, doesn't affect my hunting one bit. Would it help if there weren't boats every 100 yds? Yup! That's texas, 5 billion people and limited public access around those billion people. To blame the internet for crowded lakes is a really dumb and pointless argument. Move to another state if you want great hunting without a lot of public pressure. Because around here, those barneys will be there internet or not.

I like your posts/pic Eric, none of that is directed at you
Posted By: Threecurl

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/30/17 07:38 PM

To blame the internet for crowded lakes is a really dumb and pointless argument.

That's a super adorable argument and it was preciously worded, but I would like to point out that if you sincerely believe internet scouting has not increased pressure on difficult to find public land in Texas, you're very definitely huffing spray paint.

Don't huff spray paint. Internet scouting on forums and crap like the DU Migration Map are huge problems.
Posted By: Ojai Hunter

Re: Why do we have a split? - 11/30/17 09:26 PM

Wait a minute, NRA tells us that there is a huge drop in American hunters in the past 20 years, and we need to promote gun safety and safe hunting practices along with good harvesting practices to get more young people back into hunting.
Is this true ?
Posted By: Guy

Re: Why do we have a split? - 12/01/17 12:36 AM

If it wasn't for piranhas infesting texas waters it would really be bad.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Why do we have a split? - 12/01/17 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Threecurl
To blame the internet for crowded lakes is a really dumb and pointless argument.

That's a super adorable argument and it was preciously worded, but I would like to point out that if you sincerely believe internet scouting has not increased pressure on difficult to find public land in Texas, you're very definitely huffing spray paint.

Don't huff spray paint. Internet scouting on forums and crap like the DU Migration Map are huge problems.

You actually take the DU migration map with more than a grain of salt? Interesting.
Posted By: Timn

Re: Why do we have a split? - 12/03/17 02:38 PM

Okla opens the season early when there are no birds what good is that. Then they close it for the split just when the mallards are starting to show up. They give us days in January usually when all of the water is frozen up. I have been dealing with this for 30 years. The ideal way would not have a split and close season the last 2 weeks of January here in Oklahoma.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum