Texas Hunting Forum

Duck hunting on Lake Conroe

Posted By: Lightnin

Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/25/17 11:42 PM

Normally hangout on the fishing side but thought you guys could help me. I grew up on north LA chasing ducks all the time and still have all the equipment but just not as mad at them as the old days. My college freshman son is wanting to hunt bad. He and his friends were planning to hunt Lake Summerville but it is still closed. Has anyone tried to hunt the upper end of Conroe?
Any help will be appreciated.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/25/17 11:51 PM

popcorn
Posted By: 68A

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/26/17 12:20 AM

Posted By: Guy

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/26/17 12:30 AM

Lightnin, prepare for a major internet thrashing!!
whip
Posted By: takemking

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/26/17 01:12 AM

DUDE...I'm from Louisiana and know better than to ask things like this. For one what the hell is he doing in Texas instead of going to LSU? Your boy is lost and needs help. Second, lake hunting is a waste of time if it isn't Catahoula. Third, it's spelled Somerville...but I guess that explains why he's in school here.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/26/17 01:30 AM

Lightnin,
There's an unwritten rule to not give out specific information about locations. I would ask if someone could pm you on conroe, that way it's not there for everyone else to see. Someone outside the forum googles duck hunting lake conroe and pretty soon you have 50 duck hunters competing for that spot.

Good luck
Posted By: takemking

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/26/17 01:31 AM

Just realized I forgot to give constructive advice. Tell him to get out and scout public opportunity on the coast. If he's not a chip off the old block he may find birds...or he may just ask other people on the internet to do all the work.
Posted By: noname124398

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/26/17 03:02 PM

I've hunted Conroe a handful of times since I moved here a few years ago. Honestly it is not even worth it unless you wanna go set up under a little wood duck flyway and pass shoot a few. Most I've ever killed out there is 2 and last year I went the whole year without firing a shot. It was bad enough for me to say F this and go drop a couple bucks on a lease down near the coast. As said above, it would be worth it to go explore the coast and see what you can find. Waking up at 230-3 and driving 2-2.5 hours sounds brutal, but it will be worth it.

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/26/17 03:06 PM

Where is he going to school? I've hunted public land all over north, east, and south TX. Can maybe PM you some suggestions
Posted By: john paul

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/26/17 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: takemking
DUDE...I'm from Louisiana and know better than to ask things like this. For one what the hell is he doing in Texas instead of going to LSU? Your boy is lost and needs help. Second, lake hunting is a waste of time if it isn't Catahoula. Third, it's spelled Somerville...but I guess that explains why he's in school here.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6932211/Panhandle_Virgin#Post6932211

confused2
Posted By: kdub

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/26/17 04:07 PM

Just drive up to lake lewisville. There are ducks EVERYWHERE.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/26/17 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: kdub
Just drive up to lake lewisville. There are ducks EVERYWHERE.

Sneaky Pete's is the mallard honey hole! Big o french fry eatin fatties! up
Posted By: kdub

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/26/17 04:47 PM

I don't even use duck decoys. Just mannequins in bikinis with Mrs. Bairds bags in their hands.
Posted By: Lightnin

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/26/17 04:53 PM

Thank you noname. He is actually going to a junior college in San Antonio. He is taking two friends with him and spending the weekend at A&M with a HS friend. He hopes to be an Aggie next year. Yes I hoped he would be a Tiger but economics being what they are instate is just cheaper. I grew up hunting ducks. I know better than to ask about a specific spot, I was asking about an area of the lake. I just hate to see him wake up at 3:30 and drive to Conroe and end up in a ski area. Hope you all limit out opening morning.

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/27/17 03:58 PM

Ah yeah he might be out of luck then other than Conroe. I was at A&M for a year and a half for my masters and searched up and down and there is just not much public hunting opportunity around there. Ill shoot you a PM with some spots for him to check out.
Posted By: quackedup

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/27/17 04:11 PM

Conroe is tough, used to hunt it in the 80s but never did great. The coast has better options.
Posted By: bentman

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/27/17 04:23 PM

I'm not sure is hunting allowed on gibbons creek?
Posted By: AdanV

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/30/17 09:53 PM

I go to Sam Houston National Forest, which is the northern half of Lake Conroe.
I can't say if there's duck flying through, as I've never gone there to hunt duck, only for whitetail and hogs.

Same thing goes for the WMA in Lake Somerville.

If your son really wants to bag some duck, it's best finding a local guide in the areas.
Here's one that I friend of mine helps out at:
http://www.doublejjoutfitterstx.com/
Posted By: Fowl Language

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/31/17 11:16 AM

I've heard about that lake! I read about it on the internet. Unfortunately, the place is packed and highly hunted! rolleyes
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/31/17 06:08 PM

aim
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/31/17 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Lightnin
Thank you noname. He is actually going to a junior college in San Antonio. He is taking two friends with him and spending the weekend at A&M with a HS friend. He hopes to be an Aggie next year. Yes I hoped he would be a Tiger but economics being what they are instate is just cheaper. I grew up hunting ducks. I know better than to ask about a specific spot, I was asking about an area of the lake. I just hate to see him wake up at 3:30 and drive to Conroe and end up in a ski area. Hope you all limit out opening morning.

1. Call the Montgomery County game warden to get specifics on hunting Lake Conroe.
2. Since his jump off point is College Station call the A&M DU Chapter and get some local information. Great group of hunters/students run that chapter.
3. Go a little further and hunt the North end of Lake Livingston and/or the Trinity river. I haven't been this year yet but have family that live on the lake. Always a good bet to warm up some barrels.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Conroe - 10/31/17 07:37 PM

A buddy from college used to duck hunt Lake Livingston pretty often with success. I couldn't tell you where he went because I don't know, but they are known to hang out there.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Duck hunting on Lake Suck - 10/31/17 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: 68A

roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum