Texas Hunting Forum

A400 review

Posted By: bentman

A400 review - 10/23/17 08:43 PM

If your looking for a duck gun for this upcoming season here is a real world review. I've had mine for 4 seasons in some pretty rough conditions. The coldest was in ND & NE both were -5 to -10*. I tried both times to shoot 3 1/2" shells

Re: A400 review - 10/23/17 08:46 PM

Neither time would my gun cycle the shells. I hunted a lot from 5* to 20* with no problems. Very few times thruout the 4 yrs has the gun not cycled. I've hunted 10 different states not including TX and this is my goto gun.

Re: A400 review - 10/23/17 08:52 PM

Here is the kicker I have shot 17000rds as of last month shooting sporting clays with the gun. I mainly practice with 7/8os rds and it cycles these light loads without a problem. This is by far the lightest recoil gun I have. I'm not saying its any better than any other gun but it is a great gun that I use for hunting and sporting clays
Posted By: Matpk

Re: A400 review - 10/24/17 02:01 AM

rifle
My favorite gun..
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: A400 review - 10/24/17 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Matpk
rifle
My favorite gun..

Mine too cheers
Posted By: Matpk

Re: A400 review - 10/24/17 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: ndhunter
Originally Posted By: Matpk
rifle
My favorite gun..

Mine too cheers

aim
cheers
Posted By: Wacm

Re: A400 review - 10/24/17 09:12 PM

A Benelli will do it all but it won't eat recoil like that A400. They are both great guns.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: A400 review - 10/24/17 09:17 PM

May have been something to do with the lubricant at those cold temps, not exactly the shotgun.
Posted By: TDK

Re: A400 review - 10/24/17 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: bentman
Here is the kicker I have shot 17000rds as of last month shooting sporting clays with the gun. I mainly practice with 7/8os rds and it cycles these light loads without a problem. This is by far the lightest recoil gun I have. I'm not saying its any better than any other gun but it is a great gun that I use for hunting and sporting clays

17,000rnds....BS
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: A400 review - 10/24/17 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: TDK

17,000rnds....BS
duel
Posted By: TDK

Re: A400 review - 10/24/17 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
Originally Posted By: TDK

17,000rnds....BS
duel

I read it wrong; 17,000 over four seasons is believable.
You're due for some new springs if you haven't already z
Posted By: shalor

Re: A400 review - 10/25/17 12:25 AM

I do love my A400 but I had to have some work done about 1 year after I bought it. It would hang as it was trying to load the next shell, no matter how clean it was. I had a gunsmith work on it serval times and he had to trim something, I thought it was the ejector? But anyways, my dad bought the same gun because he liked it so much, but we had to do the same thing to his gun. I have a friend I hunt with who had the exact same problem. He had a little bit of gunsmith work done and now it works good also. Mine works good as long as I keep it clean. After about three boxes of shells it starts hanging. This gun kicks so little it's hard to believe it's a 12 gauge.

Re: A400 review - 10/25/17 04:08 AM

TDK why do you say BS on the 17000rds? That's just sporting clays not sure how many rds I have while hunting & I hunt a lot. The spring and O ring in the gas chamber was replaced in Sept. The old spring wad 1" shorter than the new one.

Re: A400 review - 10/25/17 04:10 AM

Shalor...I clean mine about 500 to 750rds
Posted By: shalor

Re: A400 review - 10/25/17 12:28 PM

I wish mine and my dads would shoot that many, but 75 to maybe 100 shells is it. But I really love that gun otherwise. But it would hang every 5-6 shells until I got it worked on a couple of times. It absorbs kick unbelievable well...kicks less than my 20 gauge benelli cordoba, which is also a really nice gun.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: A400 review - 10/25/17 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: shalor
I do love my A400 but I had to have some work done about 1 year after I bought it. It would hang as it was trying to load the next shell, no matter how clean it was. I had a gunsmith work on it serval times and he had to trim something, I thought it was the ejector? But anyways, my dad bought the same gun because he liked it so much, but we had to do the same thing to his gun. I have a friend I hunt with who had the exact same problem. He had a little bit of gunsmith work done and now it works good also. Mine works good as long as I keep it clean. After about three boxes of shells it starts hanging. This gun kicks so little it's hard to believe it's a 12 gauge.

Three identical guns with the same problem? Unusual. Maybe you should contact Beretta.
Posted By: RayB

Re: A400 review - 10/25/17 02:57 PM

I teal hunted with my 20 gauge A400 and never missed a beat (wish I could say the same with my shooting) but I was shooting reloads #6 Bizmuth
Don't think they were that hot

Re: A400 review - 10/25/17 02:57 PM

Shalor....there is a rubber O ring in the gas chamber check and make sure it is still there. Have you ever taken the rings off the piston ? If so I would check those also maybe they are in wrong
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum