Texas Hunting Forum

Having a new pond dug

Posted By: sallysue

Having a new pond dug - 10/19/17 11:40 AM

Anybody have any suggestion on what would be good to plant for ducks
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/19/17 02:19 PM

I'd say for the easiest thing you can do is transplant barn grass. Get it growing good and flood it before the season.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/19/17 03:30 PM

would you rather have plants that come back and grow on their own with a little help each year, or will you be planting every year? what kind of water depths will you have?
Posted By: Gladesgator

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/20/17 03:35 AM

Smartweed

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/20/17 08:38 AM

Gonna be pretty shallow maybe 4 or 5 feet
Posted By: Guy

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/20/17 11:32 AM

Are you going to be able to pump water in?
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/20/17 06:20 PM

You might look in to japanese millet also.
Posted By: quackiller

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/20/17 06:33 PM

duckweed can get you some birds in but has to protected from the wind and no subsurface vegetation will grow if it clouds the whole surface of the pond over. Also if the pond overflows you will lose all of your food

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/20/17 07:40 PM

if you are going to have that kind of depth, I would go with some type of SAV. maybe get Pennsylvania smartweed and/or barnyard around the shallower edges, or dig a sizeable flat on the side opposite the dam for moist soil or planting each spring summer. in the depths, id try to get wigeon grass or southern naiad growing. as said above, duckweed is great if you can get it growing, but can also ruin a pond if youre trying to grow fish also. gadwalls and wigeons love it, but it will also wash out during big rain events.

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/20/17 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Are you going to be able to pump water in?
No

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/20/17 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Exbellicus
You might look in to japanese millet also.
I got it in my other pond
Posted By: takemking

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/21/17 02:11 PM

I second on the Smartweed. The seeds have a lot of nutritional value and once you get it going it's perennial. Can not even begin to tell you how many gizzards I've found it in.

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/21/17 03:57 PM

Yes I plan planting it and several other stuff
Posted By: QuackerJacks

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/21/17 03:58 PM

does smartweed interfere with fish habitat?

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/21/17 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: QuackerJacks
does smartweed interfere with fish habitat?
I don't think so
Posted By: takemking

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/21/17 09:18 PM

It's actually beneficial. Smartweed is a waters edge plant with hollow stalks. It will grow out a couple feet over the surface and create shade habitat for fish. Bass love it. Also worth having is any type of nutsedge. It's seeds are very high in fat content and will grow damn near anywhere
Posted By: QuackerJacks

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/21/17 09:59 PM

that sounds like a winner, not trying to hijack the thread, but algae growth has been hard to control in the shallows so having something along the edges that will use up those nutrients and keep out the algae bloom is a double win. When do you plant smartweed?

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/22/17 12:56 AM

you don't want the small white flower headed smartweed that is perennial. you want the annual that has a much larger pinkish color head. it is an annual plant and will grow flooded, but will need some kind of water level drop to get going again each spring.
Posted By: WillEng

Re: Having a new pond dug - 10/23/17 02:03 AM

Smartweed
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum