Texas Hunting Forum

Do you use Mojos?

Posted By: BradyBuck

Do you use Mojos? - 10/19/17 12:20 AM

I almost always use one when dove hunting and we use the dove mojos for early teal.

I've never used one during the regular duck season. I know they were all the rage a few years ago but I just never used one.

Are guys still using them for big ducks?

Do you find they work?

I read that some thought ducks had begun to flare from them due to over use.

I was thinking if the over use had died down they might be effective.

Posted By: bentman

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/19/17 12:26 AM

I use them early often and late
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/19/17 01:20 AM

I think they work well some days during early season, especially on teal. On calm days, I usually keep them off until 30mins or so after shooting light to keep it quiet in the spread. I have started putting it 30-60 yds to one side of my spread sometimes later in the season (I hunt big lakes primarily). In my head the logic is it still gets their attention to head this direction, but hopefully they see the decoys as a more appealing landing strip. Seems like a good compromise to me, but not sure if it actually works that way.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/19/17 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: bentman
I use them early often and late

Bingo
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/19/17 02:36 AM

They are a must when hunting dry fields. Open water in Texas nah.
Posted By: BigAL33

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/19/17 09:25 AM

They sure work well for teal!
Posted By: Ol_Yeller

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/19/17 11:51 AM

I use them at the mouth of the cove I hunt to alert fishermen. Overall I hate 'em.
Posted By: TexasDuckMan

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/19/17 02:55 PM

As said before, use them early often and late and I would also add on cloudy days.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/19/17 05:13 PM

Use them all year. In dove fields that have been shot several weeks in a row they don't seem as effective. That being said if a front moves through bringing in more birds they can be a useful tool.

Haven't used them for ducks other than teal.
Posted By: KingHunter17

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/19/17 06:48 PM

Dove and teal sure do love them. I use them the first week of duck season then they get put away. I used to use them all the time when i first started duck hunting but have found to have better luck without them.
Posted By: hunting_guy

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/19/17 07:01 PM

depends on where I am hunting. If I hunt public, I leave them out of the spread. If I'm hunting private, I'll usually throw in one or two teal depending on the conditions.
Posted By: reedaggie10

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/19/17 08:54 PM

I generally only like to use a mojo during low light conditions then ill turn it off about 30 minutes into the hunt. If I see the birds are keying in on it, ill leave it on. I will always have a pulsator and/or a swimmer running in the spread.
Posted By: bentman

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/19/17 09:41 PM

I think they work best on a blue bird day.when I'm in Nebraska North Dakota or Iowa hunting dry fields I put a lot out. One thing to remember scout do your homework hunt where they were feeding the day before
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/19/17 11:01 PM

have a couple teal that I use during early teal, MIGHT use it opening weekend, and none after that. hunted too long without one, just something else extra to charge, maintain, and carry around.
Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/20/17 04:08 PM

I hunt them year around in coastal areas. North and West Texas depends on how they play to it. Sometimes they flare off of them, so we'll take them down.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/20/17 04:12 PM

I haven't for anything other than early teal in a few years. Seems they flare more than they suck in on lakes with high pressure. I would still use them till the sun comes up if it weren't just another thing to have to mess with. Or if I was field or timber hunting.
Posted By: quackiller

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/20/17 06:36 PM

I use them almost all year long. Early mornings sometimes that's all they can see first 10-20 min of shooting light and that's the difference maker. Later in the year we may not use them on the coast unless there's teal around and still run one on a remote.
Posted By: Charlie817

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/23/17 12:33 AM

Mine do well in fog.
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/23/17 03:42 AM

I hunt all public. Just more crap to drag in.
Posted By: Wildphilhickup

Re: Do you use Mojos? - 10/23/17 04:46 AM

I use them on large open bodies of water.

They get the ducks attention.

* Many years ago I was deer hunting in a very brushy hilly area.
Came across a couple of guys that were using white bed sheets stretched out over the top of the brush.
The brush was about 5 feet high and very dense.
They would sit under the sheets glassing the opposing hill sides.
They said it worked really well.
They had a place to sit protected from the sun and that deer were VERY curious about the white "patch"
They said they shot deer every season.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum