Texas Hunting Forum

Goose in Dec - Jan?

Posted By: foodieguy

Goose in Dec - Jan? - 10/16/17 03:40 AM

Hi folks,

Me and my buddies want to go on a goose hunt this year. My question is would we be generally be be better off heading north to the wichita falls area or south to the coastal prairie area like eagle lake? We'd be looking for an outfitter for sure, just wanted to know if one area is a better bet. We're in the Austin area so either one is not a horrible drive.

Most of us dont have waders, would muck boots be OK or would waders be required?

Also welcome outfitter recommendations if you've had a good experience. thanks!
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Goose in Dec - Jan? - 10/16/17 04:19 AM

IMHO, go north. Most goose hunting is going to be field hunts. No waders. Your outfitter will tell you what you need to bring.
Posted By: BigAL33

Re: Goose in Dec - Jan? - 10/16/17 11:54 AM

I always see lots of geese around Eagle Lake at that time.
Posted By: john paul

Re: Goose in Dec - Jan? - 10/16/17 02:07 PM

Go north. Texas Pandhandle, Oklahoma, Kansas... Anywhere but the coast.
Posted By: duckman10

Re: Goose in Dec - Jan? - 10/16/17 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: john paul
Go north. Texas Pandhandle, Oklahoma, Kansas... Anywhere but the coast.

I agree 100%

Re: Goose in Dec - Jan? - 10/16/17 04:27 PM

Also, are there places to get them cleaned up north like they have in eagle lake?

Re: Goose in Dec - Jan? - 10/16/17 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: foodieguy
Also, are there places to get them cleaned up north like they have in eagle lake?

I'm sure any guide service could arrange to have your birds processed for a small fee.
Posted By: noname124398

Re: Goose in Dec - Jan? - 10/19/17 09:01 PM

Ranger Creek in Haskell (westish of Wichita Falls). Don't need waders and they will clean your birds for you. Have gone with them multiple times and never been disappointed

Re: Goose in Dec - Jan? - 10/20/17 09:38 PM

Thanks for the info. SO generally you have a better chance to see more birds the further north you go?

Re: Goose in Dec - Jan? - 10/20/17 09:53 PM

Also, would waiting for the conservation hunts be a better idea to stock up the freezer?

Re: Goose in Dec - Jan? - 10/20/17 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: foodieguy
Also, would waiting for the conservation hunts be a better idea to stock up the freezer?

Chances are you will kill just as many geese on a hunt during the regular season as you will during a conservation hunt. Plus dark geese, Canada's and specks taste better imo. When we kill a ton of snow geese we usually get them made into sausage or jerky and give a lot of it away to friends and family.
Posted By: uplandhunter

Re: Goose in Dec - Jan? - 10/21/17 01:00 PM

the conservation season is an awesome time to get
in some serious hunting...I have gotten a new
shotgun just for the occasion plus some new HeviX
shotgun shells
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum