Texas Hunting Forum

What the duck?

Posted By: BA223

What the duck? - 10/08/17 09:59 PM

Any ideas on what this thing is? I saw two of them hanging out at a boat dock on Texoma.

Posted By: 68A

Re: What the duck? - 10/08/17 10:01 PM

Muscovy
Posted By: pervis

Re: What the duck? - 10/09/17 07:32 AM

That's a duck butter
Posted By: Grizz

Re: What the duck? - 10/09/17 07:02 PM

Yep, Muscovy. I've seen some at Weatherford Lake and I used to see them every now and then around Eagle Mountain Lake years ago. They look like the result of a drunken date between a duck and a turkey vulture.
Posted By: nate33

Re: What the duck? - 10/09/17 07:33 PM

That's what you eat at Chinese restaurants if you order duck.
Posted By: TexasDuckMan

Re: What the duck? - 10/09/17 07:35 PM

Muscovy. They are Asian ducks bread for food. people get them as pets or whatever and they end up getting dumped at lakes, then breeding with local ducks and the populations grow.
Posted By: Guy

Re: What the duck? - 10/09/17 10:40 PM

Yeah mallards love to hit it.

Re: What the duck? - 10/09/17 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Grizz
Yep, Muscovy. I've seen some at Weatherford Lake and I used to see them every now and then around Eagle Mountain Lake years ago. They look like the result of a drunken date between a duck and a turkey vulture.

I agree with this interpretation...definitely a result of something not ordinary.

Thanks for the feedback, fellers. I knew you were the right group to handle this...

Re: What the duck? - 10/09/17 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasDuckMan
Muscovy. They are Asian ducks bread for food. people get them as pets or whatever and they end up getting dumped at lakes, then breeding with local ducks and the populations grow.

So...they are able to breed and reproduce? Or is this the fowl version of a mule?
Posted By: TexasEd

Re: What the duck? - 10/10/17 03:06 AM

I read that if it was a Mallard x Muscovy that they are infertile. Don't know if any other crosses even produce offspring.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum