Texas Hunting Forum

Duck Calls

Posted By: DryFire

Duck Calls - 09/21/17 04:48 PM

Looks like I'm going to have the opportunity to do some duck hunting this year and it will be my first time doing anything other than puddle jumping. What should I look for in my 1st call, decoy spread, etc..
Posted By: 68A

Re: Duck Calls - 09/21/17 05:04 PM

If you must call, just pick up a whistle. It's easy and will do what you need it to do for your first year. Get a cheap zink, echo, etc... and spend some time practicing before you start carrying anything other than the whistle. Don't go overboard with the spread. Spend some time scouting wherever you're hunting and mimic what you see. Be able to adapt to changing conditions.
Posted By: nate33

Re: Duck Calls - 09/22/17 01:53 AM

68a said it right ------- if you must call ------------
Posted By: Team Porkchop

Re: Duck Calls - 09/25/17 03:18 PM

If you do decide to purchase a call, check out my sons company. https://www.facebook.com/talkinfowlcalls/
Posted By: Gengo

Re: Duck Calls - 09/28/17 07:15 PM

Whistle should be your first purchase. Next should be a Haydels DR-88. Both can be baught cheaply and the Haydels will is easy to learn on.
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Duck Calls - 10/01/17 03:56 PM

Haydels calls smell like vomit when they come out of the package
Posted By: claypool

Re: Duck Calls - 10/06/17 01:44 AM

Not sure about the buying a whistle first stuff, although they are easy to use. I recommend just buying a duck commander call there less than $20 a mallard call. Do your best to learn to use it and scout scout scout
Posted By: WreakinHavoc

Re: Duck Calls - 10/06/17 01:31 PM

Instead of going out on your own and wondering WTF to do lol... you need to link up with someone and go with them. Learn from their experience, ask them questions, and get them to share with you their knowledge... when to call, how to call, decoy spread in certain situations, how each species flies, not to shoot anything, (biggest pet peeve-watching guys shoot wood ducks during teal season) etc... That's the problem with the sport now, so many people are getting into it without being taught the right way.
just my .02
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Duck Calls - 10/12/17 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: WreakinHavoc
Instead of going out on your own and wondering WTF to do lol... you need to link up with someone and go with them. Learn from their experience, ask them questions, and get them to share with you their knowledge... when to call, how to call, decoy spread in certain situations, how each species flies, not to shoot anything, (biggest pet peeve-watching guys shoot wood ducks during teal season) etc... That's the problem with the sport now, so many people are getting into it without being taught the right way.
just my .02

This
Posted By: BDB

Re: Duck Calls - 10/12/17 02:05 PM

I will say that if your a pretty self reliant person you have most of the info you need at your finger tips ....the computer. But your getting it backwards as to importance. Call and decoys are fun and part of the experience but I'd do my best to find areas holding ducks. Its amazing how much 'you think' calls and spreads are doing their job when your hunting a hot spot. But hunt a bad spot and all the spreads and great calling in the world are completely useless!

Enjoy the journey though...its part of it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum