Texas Hunting Forum

Dove tips

Posted By: drilla4rilla

Dove tips - 09/08/17 04:43 PM

So I normally just deer/pig hunt but I've recently decided to give dove hunting a try. Been a few times but never really had any luck. We've got a lease in Llano with no food plots or anything, but we do have some sunflower patches scattered across the property as well as two 1/2 acre tanks and some power lines. We see them all the time when were down there so I know they're there. The few times I've tried I normally just walked around, probably too late in the morning (9-10am) and haven't seen much. I'm heading down there tonight to give it a shot again this weekend. Any hints/tips/strategies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Dove tips - 09/08/17 05:55 PM

Be out there before sunrise, yes you can start shooting 30 minutes before sunrise but I rarely take any shots then. Most shooting is between 7-9 in the mornings. Sit on the edge of a field looking towards the sun or towards town. After a morning or two you will learn the main flyway through your field.
Posted By: TexasDuckMan

Re: Dove tips - 09/08/17 06:16 PM

Sit by the tank in the afternoon, specifically near any trees by the tank. Also, look for paths of taller vegetation (trees, tall brush) in flatter areas like a pasture or field that are like roads leading from water to food, food to roost, etc. The birds use these tree lines and such as routs of travel. It makes them more comfortable to fly over.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Dove tips - 09/08/17 06:21 PM

They will come to food early, feed and then water. Be there near sun up.
About 2 - 3 p.m. they will return to the field and repeat the process. Water tanks are good in the afternoon to dusk.

See if you can determine how they enter the field, i.e. over a tree or tree line, across a corner or over a barn. A lot of times they will use some sort of structure to enter a field. That's makes for a good spot to sit. They also like power lines, don't shoot the power lines.

And never overlook a dead tree. Dove love to sit in a dead tree. Sit under that tree for some easy pickins.

Good luck
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum