Texas Hunting Forum

Teal season

Posted By: Marcstar

Teal season - 08/29/17 06:13 PM

Still a ways off but I expect the rains will put a big damper on teal season around the coast. Anyone remember past years with this kind of thing happening before the season. I have my teal tags already at least...least year I almost could not find any.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Teal season - 08/29/17 11:23 PM

I've yet to make a coastal hunt, so no clue as to what the wet weather will do. But, and I hate to say this, but getting to the coast may not be an option during the early teal.
Posted By: nocknload

Re: Teal season - 08/30/17 12:21 AM

I just haven't found a good recipe for duck, so I leave them alone nowadays.
Posted By: claypool

Re: Teal season - 08/30/17 12:31 AM

I think there will be more than enough water.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Teal season - 08/30/17 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: nocknload
Cut the breast into strip, cover with De Jon mustard over night. Roll in whole wheat flower and fry.
A friend told me he sticks an onion in the cavity wraps it in aluminum foil and bakes it. I'll let you know about that one.
Grill it like you do dove only soak the breast in water over night, like I do dove. No liver taste barf
Posted By: 68A

Re: Teal season - 08/30/17 01:47 AM

Breast them with skin on. Olive oil, salt, pepper... cook them rare/Med rare on stove. Drizzle melted butter on right before plating. Taste like ribeye.

Or

Jalapeņo, cream cheese, slice of duck all wrapped in bacon. Throw it on the grill.

If neither one of these are good to you then you've got problems.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Teal season - 08/30/17 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: 68A

Breast them with skin on. Olive oil, salt, pepper... cook them rare/Med rare on stove. Drizzle melted butter on right before plating. Taste like ribeye.

Or

Jalapeņo, cream cheese, slice of duck all wrapped in bacon. Throw it on the grill.

up to mix things up a bit instead of butter on option 1 use a combo of honey and soy sauce in the pan the last minute there on the stove. Drizzle the gravy over sliced cuts after it sits a few minutes food

Re: Teal season - 08/30/17 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: claypool
I think there will be more than enough water.

Yes...water won't be a problem...but sometimes too much of a good thing is a problem. If a duck has 10 holes he can pick and you are in one then it's decent odds...but if there are 100 then your hunt might not be as good. Guess it comes down to scouting.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Teal season - 08/31/17 01:03 AM

In Louisiana the storm surges would kill grasses in freshwater marshes and duck season would generally be poor.

Saltwater marshes would fair better in longterm but Teal would seem to move more towards the rice fields and scatter.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Teal season - 08/31/17 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: 68A

Or

I usually marinate mine for four days and grill medium rare or make poppers. I use grill mates on the poppers.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/114442/grilled-wild-duck-breast/

Posted By: Guy

Re: Teal season - 08/31/17 02:18 AM

This is BWT cooked to perfection. Skin on, salt and pepper, a little canola oil, on hot cast iron, med-rare...
Posted By: 68A

Re: Teal season - 08/31/17 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy
This is BWT cooked to perfection. Skin on, salt and pepper, a little canola oil, on hot cast iron, med-rare...

food nicely done.
Posted By: Deerslayer94

Re: Teal season - 08/31/17 06:11 AM

Counting down the days
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Teal season - 08/31/17 11:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy

I'm thinking I might like that. I never tried a teal. Never could cook a duck back in my younger years I liked. Mostly mallards and spoonies is all we ever shot though tank jumping.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Teal season - 08/31/17 01:29 PM

first time I had duck I expected it to taste like a mud turd the way everyone talked. I cooked it simple.. salt, pepper and a hot frying pan to maybe just hair past rare. It was great and every duck after that as well. Never had it with the skin on but that's on the books for this years birds. Meat almost looks like beef and kind of reminds me of it to.

Re: Teal season - 08/31/17 02:38 PM

As most that know how to cook duck will tell others that don't think they taste good it's normally because they over cook the duck. Like others have said cook like a rare-med rare stake. I like to smoke them too. But hell I'm not mad at those ducks hardly anymore.
Posted By: Deerslayer94

Re: Teal season - 09/01/17 05:14 AM

One more week...
Posted By: kyotee1

Re: Teal season - 09/02/17 12:28 AM

I always had great teal hunts after a storm/hurricane or lots of rain and I hunted the Galveston marsh, but the last time was back in the mid 80s. Marsh has changed dramatically and not as much marsh itself, but never had this much rain at once prior or during early teal season. If I was still down there, I'd give it a try if I could, but not until I'm transplanted again.

Good luck to all yall and God Bless those in need.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Teal season - 09/02/17 12:44 AM

I almost shot a bwt this morning, thought it was a big fat dove coming right at me, then it flared I shouldered my gun and saw the long neck. wink
Posted By: TxDuck24

Re: Teal season - 09/03/17 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Marcstar
Still a ways off but I expect the rains will put a big damper on teal season around the coast. Anyone remember past years with this kind of thing happening before the season. I have my teal tags already at least...least year I almost could not find any.

On the contrary

We will be doing our teal hunts about 40 miles north of port o Connor. The rains weren't really heavy just constant. Most of our " water " has dried up for the most part. We have teal in the rice fields and rice contention ponds. Hopefully our coast will have A amazing teal season.

Looks very promising
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum