Texas Hunting Forum

Ear protection while dove hunting

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/19/17 12:06 PM

I will admit, I haven't found an answer to this. I need to be able to hear while hunting doves. The amplified muffs are way too hot, the foam plugs are too good, can't hear anything but my breathing. I cant afford $1000 for ESP plugs.

How about a cotton ball like in the old days???

I usually don't wear anything...........what, I couldn't hear you....
Posted By: 12gauge

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/19/17 01:29 PM

I have toiled with this issue myself. I have severe Tinnitus and at least one doctor has told me I have Meniere disease, so I an very keen not to damage my hearing any more than it already is. Besides growing up in a shooting and hunting family I worked the flight line at Edwards AFB on F-15's. The Pratt & Whitney F-100 engines did me in. The problem with most of the plugs is that you can't hear your buddy holler BIRD or ROOSTER!

Has anyone tried these? https://www.google.com/shopping/product/...wBA4Q8wII7gMwDA
Posted By: Creek Henry

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/19/17 02:31 PM

I use foam but only put them in only about halfway. I can still hear pretty well and shotguns aren"t overly loud anyway (not like magnums in an indoor range). I can leave them in that way most of the day without chaffing
Posted By: Guy

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/19/17 02:56 PM

I been using the orange foam plugs for 15 years, they work great, and they are cheap. I keep a bunch on me if a lose them or hand them out. You get used to them. I can hear people talking fine and I can hear birds too. I can hear the whistling wings with those plugs in, and my hearing is bad and getting worse. That being said, I been saying for years I want to get some fancy ear plugs that block sound only when you pull the trigger. And I don't want no ear muffs.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/19/17 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: 12gauge
I have toiled with this issue myself. I have severe Tinnitus and at least one doctor has told me I have Meniere disease, so I an very keen not to damage my hearing any more than it already is. Besides growing up in a shooting and hunting family I worked the flight line at Edwards AFB on F-15's. The Pratt & Whitney F-100 engines did me in. The problem with most of the plugs is that you can't hear your buddy holler BIRD or ROOSTER!

Has anyone tried these? https://www.google.com/shopping/product/...wBA4Q8wII7gMwDA
have the same condition, 5" gun mount on a tincan, started then all the years doing construction (table saw ect)added to the demise of my hearing

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/20/17 07:56 PM

Wouldn't we be a pair in the field? "Colt! Bird!!!" What?

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/20/17 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: 12gauge
Wouldn't we be a pair in the field? "Colt! Bird!!!" What?

That's funny, I could see this happening to me too, "Buzz, Bird!!!" "What"...."never mind" "He long gone now"
Posted By: pdt818

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/21/17 03:40 PM

Just got a set of these and used them at the range over the weekend. Absolutely amazing and not a bad price for electronic dampening earbuds.

http://www.gsmoutdoors.com/shopping/Silencer-in-the-Ear-PAIR-P1032.aspx
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/21/17 08:14 PM

I finally bought a pair a digitals would never hunt without anything else all it takes is one shot and you can lose 50% plus of your hearing not worth it

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/21/17 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: pdt818
Just got a set of these and used them at the range over the weekend. Absolutely amazing and not a bad price for electronic dampening earbuds.

So you like them huh? How did find out about them?

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/21/17 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Greekangler
I finally bought a pair a digitals would never hunt without anything else all it takes is one shot and you can lose 50% plus of your hearing not worth it

What do you use?

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/21/17 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Greekangler

which did you get?
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/22/17 02:17 AM

Here is what I use.

You can hear people talking, it's not as restrictive as the foam ear plugs. Mine are probably 10 years old and have served me well.
Posted By: bruiser

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/22/17 02:42 PM

I went to a ear doctor a number of years ago and he asked if I shot guns. He asked if I wore hearing protection and I said yes with rifles but not really with shotguns. He said that I should wear at least one ear plug in my left ear since I am right handed as the left ear is closer and not protected to the gun blast. Since then I have wore one foam plug in my left ear during dove season with no ill effects and you can still have a conversation.
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/22/17 05:03 PM

These are really good. Comfortable and the passive filter allows you to hear normal conversation pretty well. I have $100+ molded/custom plugs and I like these much better.

https://www.alpinehearingprotection.com/earplugs/worksafe/
Posted By: pdt818

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/22/17 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Originally Posted By: pdt818

So you like them huh? How did find out about them?

Friend of mine turned me onto them. He got a pair as well. I had a pair of ear buds last season that were non-electronic that I had trouble fitting my ear, and overall there wasn't a whole lot of protection due to the bad fit. They were also 20 bucks, soooooo. Figured investing a little bit of money into something that will help prevent my hearing was worth the expenditure. I am happy with my purchase/experience with them so far. Only down side is the cost of the batteries, since they use the same type as hearing aides. Not necessarily the cheapest out there but again, a small price to pay for having better hearing long term.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/22/17 06:00 PM

Buzz, I'll be using these from now on:

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6821428/1
Posted By: thecytochromec

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/22/17 06:02 PM

You can be hot or uncomfortable for a little while or deaf for the rest of your life. Don't take any chances with hearing protection. Mines permanently damaged because I made a poor decision once. Don't make the same choice I did.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/22/17 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: twinbubba
Here is what I use.

You can hear people talking, it's not as restrictive as the foam ear plugs. Mine are probably 10 years old and have served me well.

I primarily use Howard Leight ear muffs but these Silencios are very good too

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/22/17 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ndhunter

Ear muffs are for girls.
Posted By: BigAL33

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/23/17 12:20 AM

Ear muffs are for girls.

What?

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/23/17 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: BigAL33

Ear muffs are for girls.

What?

Plus they probably flare birds...

Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/23/17 11:59 AM

I use the foam plugs by 3M and have for many years.
Whatever you pick, find something and always wear ear protection AND eye protection.

Rule No. 1: eyes and ears on when shooting, ALWAYS.

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/23/17 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan

Rule No. 1: eyes and ears on when shooting, ALWAYS.

It just takes one time to mess up your ears forever. I shot sporting clay 1989, I never wore ear plugs before, I'm not sure if anyone did back then, but I was standing behind another guy shooting, one particular shot, it rung my ears, and it never went away. And has gotten worse over the years, but I have gotten use to it.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/23/17 02:09 PM

Tinnitus.
I have it too.
Playing rock music and pulling triggers caused mine.

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/23/17 02:17 PM

Ear muffs are for girls.

What?

Plus they probably flare birds...

Do those come in Camo?

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/23/17 11:33 PM

Here some camo ones, might be too hot for dove tho...
Posted By: LuckyVictim

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/24/17 05:50 AM

I suggest a pair of these. A few fella's from a "special" military organization turned me onto them. Very comfortable, around $14-$25 on Amazon, a no pesky batteries. I believe Academy also sells them in the hearing protection section.
Surefire EarPro Sonic Defenders: They protect your hearing without interfering with your ability to hear routine sounds or conversations. Their fitted design provides a Noise Reduction Rating of 24dB. Sounds, at safe levels, are allowed to pass through into the ear canal, while potentially harmful noises (above 85dB) are reduced.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DH65OG/ref=twister_dp_update?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/24/17 02:24 PM

I use these

Or these

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/24/17 02:25 PM

Here some camo ones, might be too hot for dove tho...

You got an Asian Girl thing going on here don't you
Posted By: tahewett64

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/24/17 04:43 PM

I have Tinnitus also and, according to my ENT, am borderline for a hearing aids now. Besides shooting, I grew up in construction and worked for a company for a while that had 14 fans blowing to help keep air moving. That and loud rock & roll music in my youth has probably done me in.

I agree, the earmuffs get hot, especially early in the season here in Texas. Bad enough using them when mowing & trimming my yard in the summer. I have gone to using the foam plugs when bird hunting for the same reason as Guy. They are cheap, they do work, and I can still hear my hunting buddies yell “bird” or “rooster”.

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/24/17 05:21 PM

Ear muffs are for girls.

What?

Don't bother responding to the troll. He has pieces of foam shoved in his ear and can't hear you.

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/26/17 12:00 AM

Seriously, there some good recommendations on here I'm gonna try, but as I said in my first post, not interested in ear muffs. But here is a more manly pair ndhunter might want to try.

rofl

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/26/17 01:33 AM

I think that is a haircut!

Why are you making fun of my electronic headgear? You're just jealous.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/26/17 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: LuckyVictim
I suggest a pair of these. A few fella's from a "special" military organization turned me onto them. Very comfortable, around $14-$25 on Amazon, a no pesky batteries. I believe Academy also sells them in the hearing protection section.
Surefire EarPro Sonic Defenders: They protect your hearing without interfering with your ability to hear routine sounds or conversations. Their fitted design provides a Noise Reduction Rating of 24dB. Sounds, at safe levels, are allowed to pass through into the ear canal, while potentially harmful noises (above 85dB) are reduced.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DH65OG/ref=twister_dp_update?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Bought a pair of these. Inexpensive, comfortable and work well for what they cost.

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/26/17 03:13 AM

Ill give them a look tomorrow, may end up with a foam plug in my left ear cuz I cant hear anything with plugs in both ears/

my main problem, I cant handle any ear protection for longer than about an hour. hurts my ears plugs or muffs.

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/26/17 03:14 AM

Seriously, there some good recommendations on here I'm gonna try, but as I said in my first post, not interested in ear muffs. But here is a more manly pair ndhunter might want to try.

rofl

I thought this was one of Bill's famous "file" photos from long ago
Posted By: FishStickMan

Re: Ear protection while dove hunting - 08/26/17 11:12 AM

I've used these for the last three seasons. Comfortable, cheap, good protection and you can hear pretty well with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Hearing-Pr...ds=Peltor+plugs
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum