Texas Hunting Forum

PSA Monarch shotgun shells.

Posted By: billyhunt

PSA Monarch shotgun shells. - 08/03/17 01:48 AM

Just to let anyone know who likes to shoot Monarch SS. I was at Academy today and they let me know, this years shells are made of aluminum not brass. Not for me.
Posted By: Elpatoloco

Re: PSA Monarch shotgun shells. - 08/03/17 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: billyhunt
Just to let anyone know who likes to shoot Monarch SS. I was at Academy today and they let me know, this years shells are made of aluminum not brass. Not for me.

The only shells that are Brass headed are remington STS and winchester AA... the rest are just colored brass, steel heads. Federal Gold medal may be actual brass as well, but I don't reload them, so I don't know.

Try a magnet on them and check for yourself. The STS and AA will barely stick as the only thing ferrous is the primer cup.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: PSA Monarch shotgun shells. - 08/03/17 03:02 AM

Thanks Elpatoloco, gonna have to try that. I really like the Monarchs, they are a little more smoke, powdery, but like em so so. How about Rios?
Posted By: BigAL33

Re: PSA Monarch shotgun shells. - 08/03/17 11:58 AM

BTW, Academy has the best prices for Win AA shells. Plus Winchester has a $2 per box rebate going on right now. I mainly shoot 28ga and 20ga for doves. The Win AA super sport #7.5 1300FPS hit hard and have great range. I have not used the Monarch shells.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: PSA Monarch shotgun shells. - 08/03/17 12:24 PM

For factory loads, Rios are my favorites and they are made right here in Texas.

post images
Posted By: claypool

Re: PSA Monarch shotgun shells. - 08/05/17 04:28 AM

RIO's for me.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: PSA Monarch shotgun shells. - 08/05/17 01:45 PM

12Ga 7.5 brand doesn't really matter- shoot Mod in states- I mod to extra full in South America- but w a 20ga- for they money, buy Rio 1oz if you can find them
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: PSA Monarch shotgun shells. - 08/05/17 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: BigAL33
BTW, Academy has the best prices for Win AA shells. Plus Winchester has a $2 per box rebate going on right now. I mainly shoot 28ga and 20ga for doves. The Win AA super sport #7.5 1300FPS hit hard and have great range. I have not used the Monarch shells.

55 a flat after rebate no shipping cost Rogers sporting goods online- I use xtra light loads no need for "silver bullets" too much recoil
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: PSA Monarch shotgun shells. - 08/05/17 02:59 PM

Just ordered from Academy 10 boxes of Winchester AA Super-Handicap Target Load $7.49 a box with $2.00 a box mail in rebate. $5.49 a box ain't bad. The super-handicap has been my favorite shell for years.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: PSA Monarch shotgun shells. - 08/05/17 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1
Just ordered from Academy 10 boxes of Winchester AA Super-Handicap Target Load $7.49 a box with $2.00 a box mail in rebate. $5.49 a box ain't bad. The super-handicap has been my favorite shell for years.

YEP, I got my $20 check from Winchester last week. This is the BEST deal on a Premium shot shell. Mine are Sporting 8's, dove killers
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: PSA Monarch shotgun shells. - 08/08/17 03:12 PM

pretty sure that rio makes the monarch's Hulls look identical and both are dirty

Remington Shurshots #6 for me though
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: PSA Monarch shotgun shells. - 08/08/17 03:59 PM

They do, just a cheaper version.
Posted By: CuzTheyFly

Re: PSA Monarch shotgun shells. - 08/08/17 08:09 PM

I too like the RIO's they work great in my semi auto, they can be a little dirty but they action through my Winchester SX2 real well... Cabela's has em...
Posted By: TyBU

Re: PSA Monarch shotgun shells. - 08/08/17 08:38 PM

Monarch Dove Load this year is made by Winchester.
Posted By: BDB

Re: PSA Monarch shotgun shells. - 08/08/17 09:10 PM

I just picked up 3 cases of Remington 20g shells. I started a thread a few days back about Rem shells tight in my 20g O/U. I checked some shells in the 3 cases I just baught and they fit great just like they should. I texted my dove lease buds who shot a lot of rio last year...they said their going back to Remingtons this year. Rio were ok but they all thought the Rem's touched a few birds out there better than the rio's.

I was looking at the Monarchs though as I loaded up the Rem cases...$20 case cheaper than the Rems.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum