Texas Hunting Forum

GEARED UP!

Posted By: lubbockdave

GEARED UP! - 01/14/17 12:05 AM

OK, got me a 12 gauge with modified and IC chokes, 4 boxes of #2 steel shot, a set of Magellen waders 1.5 sizes too big, and a duck stamp today. First time hunt is the 29th-guided, so anything else I need to think about getting?
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/14/17 12:12 AM

A small backpack

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/14/17 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
A small backpack

what needs to go in said pack?
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/14/17 12:26 AM

TP & snacks....
Posted By: HCHunter28

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/14/17 12:27 AM

Headlamp
Camo rain jacket

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/14/17 12:29 AM

I hope those waders fit you. I wear a size 10 and use 10 waders. L

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/14/17 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: HCHunter28

it was suggested to get waders a size to large to allow for layering...yes?
Posted By: Deerslayer94

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/14/17 12:34 AM

Waders should be fine just wear thick socks, I always try on before I buy lol as far as what goes in pack like said above
headlamp, shells, dry rag, I keep an extra dry t shirt just incase, snacks, knife, and some water.

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/14/17 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: lubbockdave
Originally Posted By: HCHunter28

it was suggested to get waders a size to large to allow for layering...yes?

They usually say get bigger for wader boots so your stocking waders can fit inside. Are you using boot foot or stocking foot? I like boot foot for duck hunting and stocking foot for fishing. You'll be fine, I just brought it up so you could check them before using them. Boot foot should be fairly snug so they don't pull off in the mud.

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/14/17 01:06 AM

What and where are u hunting for? Geese and cranes?
U might not need waders. Waders are a pain to stake 300 rags down

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/14/17 01:11 AM

A small backpack

what needs to go in said pack?

Depending on weather and duration of hunt mine usually has:

Amo, calls,facemask,light gloves,water, tp in a ziplock, 2-3 ziplocks, a couple of trashbags, Lisence, power-bar and handwarmers to throw in boots if colder than 20 F
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/14/17 01:33 AM

Hand and foot warmers. Best bang for the buck
Posted By: BDB

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/14/17 01:47 AM

OK, got me a 12 gauge with modified and IC chokes, 4 boxes of #2 steel shot, a set of Magellen waders 1.5 sizes too big, and a duck stamp today. First time hunt is the 29th-guided, so anything else I need to think about getting?

several items will depend on you. I have buds who cannot leave house/camp without getting something in their tummy. I personally can go till noon with nothing but coffee...gotta have the black jo!...with cream laugh So snacks/drinks are up to you. When I go alone I have...shells, headlamp, hand warmers, face paint (I hate a mask), calls, spare batteries for headlamp, lanyard, tree strap, camo gloves, ball cap/beanie, jerk cord. In my wader chest pouch I keep a small compass, small streamlight flashlight and my case for my phone. They always stay in my wader pouch. As far as TP....my body does not control me...I control it...I go when I get home! I personally carry a walking stick as I have no dog and must retrieve my own ducks. This is for water hunting. I like to stand but there are times I will take my marsh seat. Clothing...whatever the current temps are depends on weather I take neck gaiter, rain jacket etc. Gun/decoys are obvious. Some items depends if I'm boating in or walking in. I rarely walk in today but still do occasionally. One thing I do not have when DUCK hunting is a knife... loco But then I always have one on me at all other times. I have a knife when scouting though and one in the boat but never on me when hunting. Go figure.

Good luck. BTW why are you waiting until the last day of the year to go duck hunting?

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/14/17 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: BDB

several items will depend on you. I have buds who cannot leave house/camp without getting something in their tummy. I personally can go till noon with nothing but coffee...gotta have the black jo!...with cream laugh So snacks/drinks are up to you. When I go alone I have...shells, headlamp, hand warmers, face paint (I hate a mask), calls, spare batteries for headlamp, lanyard, tree strap, camo gloves, ball cap/beanie, jerk cord. In my wader chest pouch I keep a small compass, small streamlight flashlight and my case for my phone. They always stay in my wader pouch. As far as TP....my body does not control me...I control it...I go when I get home! I personally carry a walking stick as I have no dog and must retrieve my own ducks. This is for water hunting. I like to stand but there are times I will take my marsh seat. Clothing...whatever the current temps are depends on weather I take neck gaiter, rain jacket etc. Gun/decoys are obvious. Some items depends if I'm boating in or walking in. I rarely walk in today but still do occasionally. One thing I do not have when DUCK hunting is a knife... loco But then I always have one on me at all other times. I have a knife when scouting though and one in the boat but never on me when hunting. Go figure.

Good luck. BTW why are you waiting until the last day of the year to go duck hunting?

had no idea it was last day-was only date available we could all go.
Posted By: Bdontexoma

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/14/17 02:46 AM

Well at least you will have ALL year to spend way too much money on hunting stuff!

I suspect you will have a boat, trained dog and most stuff than a small sporting goods store come November 2017. You will be hooked! hammer

Have fun and dont forget to tip the guide.

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/16/17 01:47 PM

took the NIB 870 out this weekend quail hunting and puddle jumping ducks-jammed 1st shot every time! took apart, dig out empty, try again...JAM! gonna try Remington CS this am. May have to go to the 20 gauge for the hunt on the 29th...
Posted By: ArkansasTraveler

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/18/17 05:43 PM

The important things that I actually use out of my backpack is shells, calls, duck strap, headlamp, water, leatherman, handwarmers, and a small can of rem oil. Have abunch more stuff but dont use it as often
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/18/17 09:03 PM

took the NIB 870 out this weekend quail hunting and puddle jumping ducks-jammed 1st shot every time! took apart, dig out empty, try again...JAM! gonna try Remington CS this am. May have to go to the 20 gauge for the hunt on the 29th...

Dang, any luck?
Posted By: buxNdux

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/18/17 09:10 PM

Are you guys hunting in the Lubbock area lubbockdave?
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/18/17 09:56 PM

A small backpack

If you end up doing more of it, a solid blind bag. Same as a pack but I like better, it will be up to you. You can spend 40-100 bucks on a good one. It will hold the stuff everyone has recommended. I started waterfowling 4 years ago and just like golf, flyfishing and deer hunting, you will spend your money but its all good.

Have fun and good luck.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: GEARED UP! - 01/18/17 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: brandon f

Well at least you will have ALL year to spend way too much money on hunting stuff!

I suspect you will have a boat, trained dog and most stuff than a small sporting goods store come November 2017. You will be hooked! hammer

Have fun and dont forget to tip the guide.

A checkbook with $20k in it so you can buy all the stuff you will need to hunt ducks next year, boat, dog, decoys, calls etc.

The nice thing about duck hunting is that you can put all the stuff in your backpack to keep you comfy. Coffee, smokes, food, t.p.

Plus stuff for being cold hand warmers foot warmers ( I put them on between my socks) scarf and beanie

Plus stuff to hide you (mask or camo, gloves, another pair of gloves in a waterproof bag)

You may not need the survival stuff if you are not boating to a remote location but always good to have.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum